Apple's Product Line

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MasterX (OSiX), Jun 14, 2002.

1. MasterX (OSiX) macrumors 6502

Some people claim that Apple's old 4-square product line died with the cube (and that was why it failed). But i propose that they are still on top of things, but that it's now a 8-product matrix:

Attached Files:

2. MasterX (OSiX) thread starter macrumors 6502

Also the Apple Software line up, which involves a few 3rd party apps (Bias Peak, Photoshop):

Attached Files:

3. MasterX (OSiX) thread starter macrumors 6502

I apologize for the sub-standard SW graph, but you get the point. Also I will mention that there IS SPACE for the Apple pro mobile device. I won't say PDA, because I still think they'd rather make something either above or below the 'PDA' realm. Also that it'd be used for admin the Xserve farm more than as an organizer. Think like a web-tablet which is instead a utility-tablet. Just my hunch.

Let the posting begin!

4. tortus macrumors member

Interesting

A logical assumption you are making. Good layout is based on grid systems, continuity, and symmetry. I hope they fill that final scquare with something phenomenal. Like a g5 based plasma rifle with DDR memory.

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

i would just like to say the big "?" probably is the customer available eMac.

Ensign

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Maybe, the missing one in this so called "Square Conpiracy" is some kind of new Apple PDA like the Newton.

7. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Hahahahahaha, now Apple is in the weapons buisness? Guess, if your right, Apple will be able to fight off any hostile takeovers by Microsoft.

8. spuncan macrumors 6502

Nice Graph very well done. And of course the mobile square in question is the iWalk w/ full transporter technology. :D :D :D :D :D Myself I think the TiBook is the pro an enterprose model.

9. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Whilst there's logic in your argument MasterX, what you're suggesting would imply something like an Xbook. Not the most likely of developments, wouldn't you say?

10. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

you called it a 4-square product line which was right but then you called it a 8-product square which is wrong as it is not a square but a group of 8 squares...anyway, back to the point, in your table, you have sub/consumer/pro/corp...what sort of corporate portable can exist? like an "iTablet" couldn't be listed under corp even if it did come out so the whole square thing is logical but your headings are not quite right...

11. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

XTablet?

How about a Tablet with InkWell technology, a 5-10GB iPod-sized HD and FireWire. One could administer a number of Xserves by connecting via FireWire which is loacted on the front of the Xserve. I don't know, just another possibuility.

Bill

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Why are the iPod and the eMac in the same column???:confused:

I think trying to read anything into Apple's product line "gaps" is akin to reading Tarot cards:
    You're going to get out of it what you want...but that's not really an indications of anything concrete.

13. MasterX (OSiX) thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I wasy away, I took a 10 mile hike out on the Appilachin trail.

So let's see:
    "you called it a 4-square product line which was right but then you called it a 8-product square which is wrong as it is not a square but a group of 8 squares"

When SJ came back to Apple he formed a 4-product square, but it still was missing something, the iBook. After that it was a full system. Then he started augmenting it and people started arguring Apple was loosing focus. I present the 8-product square as the new Apple Products Square. You'll notice soemthing is missing, weather it be an Xserve admin tool (think StarTreck, sad i know) or a PDA. It doesn't have to be more power than a TiBook just to fit in that slot.
    ---
    "i would just like to say the big "?" probably is the customer available eMac."

No, because it's the same product as the eMac under 'sub' 'desktop'. If i wanted to streach it i would put the 14" iBook under consumer and the 12" under sub, but i decided the iPod fit in better.
    ---
    "I hope they fill that final scquare with something phenomenal. Like a g5 based plasma rifle with DDR memory."

That's a little weak, as you recall the existing G4 is faster than light (time to reach your face from screen vs time to complete 1 task) :D

14. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I meant your grammar was wrogn because you called it a "8-product square" when even though it does have 8 products, it is not a square.

15. MasterX (OSiX) thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, haha. Then i suppose i'll chnage it. "8-product matrix".