Apple's Push Notification = BBM type App for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Jun 12, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

As stupid as this logic is, a lot of people choose to stay with blackberry phones solely because of BBM. It has a way better interface for texting and in all actuality makes people feel exclusive and cool for being in the blackberry club...

that said, I think Apple could draw a good chunk of customers if they offered, or a third party offered an app similar to BBM for the iPhone. With the push notification Apple will be offering I think this could work really really well.

What would they call it? iPhone Instant Messenger? Apple iPhone Messenger (haha).

2. macrumors 65816

I actually find BBM really stupid. I dont use it and I dont know anyone who really use it either who have blackberries. I personally just hid the application because you could only talk to BB users. If someone who didnt have it, you were screwed. Instead I found JiveTalk (a 3rd party IM client) to be much more useful. I can talk to anyone online :)

I got all my friends who had BB to use it with me :)

3. macrumors 65816

For those of us without Blackberries, what the hell is BBM?

4. macrumors 68020

Blackberry Messenger.

5. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I'd rather have an IM client that was closed off to one format. (like meebo)

6. macrumors 65816

its a Blackberry messenger which is only ment to message blackberries. The messages are pushed, but its kind of stupid when instant messaging is already by itself instant. so really it just becomes simply a messenger to blackberry users who can only talk amoung themselves. what makes this dumber is that you need the other BB user to give them your unique PIN to add them, much like the Wii. So getting a lot of contacts on BBM is nearly impossible unless you are in the corporate world

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree that its dumb but it definitely has a major following, especially among teens and people in their 20's.

Around my college campus there are loads of people that have upwards of 70/80 contacts, some going over 100.

It's gotten to the point where people don't ask for numbers anymore, just pins.

8. macrumors 65816

Huh? I do not know a single person at my college that has a BlackBerry.

9. macrumors 65816

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

11. macrumors newbie

BBM is a huge loss

This is the one thing holding me back from iPhone, If you've used it you know, it does matter.

12. macrumors newbie

BBM APP for the iPhone

I've only been using BBM for a few months now and it's amazing. Yes it keeps all conversations together just like the iphone but it also says when the message was delivered and read.

I'm waiting for someone to write an iphone app that allows the iphone to text directly to BBM. This would be a sick app. Especially for people obsessed with the BB.

13. macrumors newbie

There has to be some kind of BBM for Iphone!!!!

Actually, I have been using the blackberry for about 3 years and the BBM service is amazing for reasons that many people don't realize. Most service providers charge for instant messages like text messages so if you don't have unlimited text you're screwed. BBM does not get charged. I think that is why students want to use it! Secondly, even if you have a work blackberry (like I used to the messages are run through the RIM server and not the carrier (Sprint, Tmobile) thus cannot not be monitored by your company. Lastly, it does keep all the messages organized like a text conversation in iphone adn stores it as one conversation instead of a series of texts....

Now, I've had to leave by company and really want a new iphone but that BBM is going to be hard to give up. My girlfriend has a blackberry and doesn't have unlimited text so our conversations would now cost us money on the iphone...

Is there nothing like that?!

14. macrumors regular

Use one of the dozens of instant messenger apps that use any one of a number of protocols (AIM, Jabber, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, Facebook, etc)? These do not use up your SMS quota, they only use data.

15. macrumors 601

gloss

As previously stated, buy an IM app and just use that. Beejive and IM+ will both support Push notifications in the near future and they run on your data plan. Free messages!, not to mention that people on other platforms can talk to you as well.

16. macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Personally, I think BBM is stupid.

I had two Blackberries and I always hid the icon.

Why have a chat program that only works with one kind of phone?

17. macrumors regular

The reason they created BBM was two fold. One was at one point all IM clients on phones were SMS based. The second was most corporate networks don't allow IM clients. Some phones are configured by their BES to send all the traffic via the BES - even the internet traffic. So in this case this would be needed.

It is very possible to have a lot of contacts on BBM - I have 53 on mine. You DO NOT NEED THE PIN. So many people have this misconception. All you need is the primary email address for the device. You can add on BB messenger with that.

I'm sorry but BBM is far simpler and easy to use than any of the IM clients out for the iPhone so far. I'm hoping push changes that at least. Right now I carry a BB for work and the iPhone for personal use. However I speak to most of my friends via BB messenger - so it sucks I have to carry both phones 24/7.

As things stand right now the BB OWNS the iPhone in messaging & email. However the iPhone owns the BB in every other area - which is why I own both. :D I personally would hate only having either for many reasons and honestly BBM is one of them.

18. macrumors newbie

I like blackberry phones only for BBM.If you have not used it you can not understand it's facility.As apple has brought latest technology at i phone i think they should develop some apps like BBM.That would be the best solution to divert blackberry users to i phone.

19. macrumors 6502

20. macrumors regular

BBM is great. I didn't have to pay $20 a month for unlimited texting because everyone who I texted had BBM. I'm sure if apple had thought of the idea people would be talking about how brilliant it is.

21. macrumors 6502

annoying who uses BBM heavily has unlimited texts.

22. macrumors 6502

If apple thought of the idea it would look like ichat not windows 97

23. macrumors newbie

rapidblue

I used to LOVE my BB Messenger!!!

I've actually been looking around for an "iPhone version" to replace my BB Messenger...

Yes, a lot of ppl say we can just use regular IM clients but they usually log you after a predetermined time (usually 24hrs).
    The best IM client I have found for this though is Yahoo Messenger (iTunes link) because it keeps you logged in for up to 2 weeks!! Can also chat to your friends on their BBs if they have Yahoo Messenger too :D
    I then also found some direct iPhone to iPhone apps that never log you off! Take a look at iPushIt (iTunes link) or Messi.im (iTunes link).
    I also sent a mail to MoyoTalk (iTunes link) regarding their app - they are expecting their new version to be approved any day now which will then support push and a bunch of new countries (for registration purposes). They are also planning a BB version - will then have a true BB Messenger between iPhones and BBs :D:D:D

24. macrumors regular

I was a little jealous of my girlfriends BBM when she first got he blackberry because at the time all my friends had blackberries. Now most of them have the pre or the iPhone, with only a select few having the blackberry anymore.

As for an iPhone version of BBM, it would be cool if every phone had a unique "pin" like BBM does, but I find that using an IM client is just as good since with AIM you can send messages to your friends phones as texts, yet when you send and receive them from the IM client it uses data so you don't get charged texts.

25. jkb
    macrumors regular

jkb

http://itunes.com/app/whatsapp

we just added chat and app went live today. it is exactly like BBM but for iphone. in fact, it is even better since there is no PIN to exchange. will update itunes app store description and screen shots later.

note for special people: just like BBM requires the other party to have BBM, whatsapp requires the other party to also have whatsapp.