Apple's quality control sucks so badly I don't think I can recommend Apple anymore

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chrispy, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I just got my BTO 15" powerbook today and it came with a dead (big old black) pixel smack dab in the middle of the screen. Of course Apple will not do anything about this like.. oh say... DELL. This is the 4th powerbook out of 6 that have been in my possesion over the years to have a dead pixel.... I have worked on at least 30 or 40 dell notebooks over the years and NOT ONE of them had this issue.... until Apple can get this under control I'm afraid they no longer have my word of mouth recommendation.

-Chris

2. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

they do tho, on this link: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0508retail.html you can send it back and they will rpelace it free of charge, however many dead pixels u have on ur powerbook. if uve ordered it online then u can prob contact them about it and send it back to them.

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yes, I believe the key here is to make sure that they know you find it unacceptable. Still, you're right, Apple should move to a zero tolerance policy like many other companies have.

4. djkny macrumors 6502

Speak to a MGR in the CR dept, explain calmly and firmly, and request for a replacement -- either that, or some sort of "compensation" for your time, frustrations, and purchase history.

I've been in the same boat like you --- I've had, hmm, let's see --- 4 different replacements, a 15" upgraded to a 17", etc. and a bunch of accessories (ipod) given for their own mismanaged QC. If you're thorough and polite, apple will make it worth your while. Don't give up.

5. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I'm taking everyone's advice and I'm calling now. I am going to calmly explain my situation and see what they can do. Bad news is I leave for school in abouta week and a half... I hope my new unti makes it by then :(

6. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I just have no luck with BTO computers.... maybe I should just go with the stock model... I dunno

7. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

Dead pixels are indeed a sticky issue. I've been lucky with my powerbook having none, and my 20" cinema having one blue pixel out near mid-bottom-right sorta placement, that you can only see against a black background...

To tell you the truth, I've head dead/stuck pixels on a reasonable amount of my hardware, and they don't really bother me that much....however, I believe I have a solution to the problem.

All companies like apple need to do is charge £100 extra for a guarateed no dead pixel monitor, checked before shipping, and swapped if any occur....then perfectionists can pay extra for the service...I know I'd do it!

However dude....you can also try a method I've used in the past to get dead pixels/unfaulty products/stuff with weird problems that no-one can solve/ sorted....

<drags off to corner and whispers>
    "Dude....just blow the damn thing up so they swap it....say it "just stopped working"....

I find that relieves your vast amount of "customer service" problems :D

8. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Ok well I got them to agree to do an exchange.. YAY. However, I leave for school on August 19th and they will not be able to even start processing a new computer until Thursday of this week. I don't know if a BTO unit will make it in time if I do that.... should I just say forget the 128VRAM and get stock... hmmm I dunno

9. DesignIt macrumors member

I would stick with the 128 ram...in fact that is what I will be ordering...sooon.

10. pdxappl macrumors newbie

what is the phone number for the CR department?

11. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

yeah, I would like that number as well.

EDIT* Called and got the number. It is 800-767-2775

12. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Unfortunatly, due to the timing of this, I will probably not be able to pursue the BTO option. I will be leaving for my senior year of college on the 20th of August and the last day I could receive the computer would be the 19th. Due to delays, the computer will not make it to me in that time frame yet I cannot ship it to my school address as if it comes early the receipt of package is denied..... hmmm I really hate to not have the best technology for down the road but I don't know what to do....

13. ak004m macrumors newbie

Would it be so awful to just wait a couple extra days to have to send it in, so if you ship it to your school adress you'll be there in time? I'm sure Apple would be able to accomodate this in some way. Or is there no oen in your home to ship it to you at school after it gets there?

14. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I suppose I could push back the date I send the bad unit in so I would fall into my back at school time frame. People are usually not home during the day about my home address so I have things sent to work. I could have my employer forward the package to me but I would rather avoid double shipping the computer.

15. miseldine macrumors newbie

Maybe contact the delivery firm after its in transit and explain your situation. I'm in the UK, and TNT (the delivery firm who delivered my PowerBook) put it aside for me to collect from their depot at the local airport.

Delivery firms deal with this kind of thing all the time :)

16. miseldine macrumors newbie

Actually, one the advantages of being on the other side of the fence at University (i.e. being a researcher and lecturer like me :)) means you realise that Universities have delivery depots on-campus that staff can use.

You could ask one of your favourite lecturers, or your personal tutor to get it delivered that way, and it'll be available to you on campus.

17. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Great idea! I know just the professor who can do that for me. I will get ahold of her and see what she can do.

18. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I called the CR line and waited on hold for 20 mins and nobody ever helped me.... I will be calling back tomorrow and adding that to my list of problems in the last year with Apple...

19. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

You must have rotten luck with apple and amazing luck with dell, i have never had a dead pixel or any other start up problem with apple and i have bought 6+ machines, and several dells as well, I work with computers at work(tech support and film edit tutoring) and i have seen 3x as many dells with dead pixels and more serious problems out of the box, in fact the most recent inspiron laptop that i bought the computer didnt boot up and had to be replaced. Talk about quality control. Every company has quality control issues nowadays this has to do with the fact that the machines are made in China and shipped to the US, every one has had a problem here or now, but in terms of statistics and percentages, apple has had the better quality control of the two companies by a big margin(it is a smaller company) but it still remains better and stronger. Their tech support is also so so much better and nicer

20. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I have to disagree that Apple's tech support is better and more friendly than others. Every experienec I have shared with them has led me nowhere and just sent me in circles. I made a list of poor service issues I have experienced in the last year and a half with Apple and it was over 10 items long. Even if Dell does have more problems at least they step up and replace your system quickly and without question.

21. NicP macrumors 6502

We have had 4 dell lcds and not one has had a dead/stuck pixel (2 of those were laptops). I'm yet to have any experience with apple, i'll report back :D

22. persianpunisher macrumors regular

My friend, I truly think you are just VERY VERY lucky. Dell HAS MUCH BETTER Customer Service than apple. Dell has covered EVERYTHING that has gone wrong with my computer, and they were quick and friendly about it. I cannot tell you how many times I have talked to apple about my iPod and they DID NOT HELP ME AT ALL. Dell has MUCH better tech support, CS, and quality control (they may have more problems, but they will get the problem fixed)

23. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If you make a big enough stink, they'll replace it for you. LOL.

I'd rather have three stuck pixels around the edges of my screen than 1 dead one right smack in the middle.

24. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I knew I was not alone in this haha. I called Apple today and spoke with a CR manager. He agreed to replace the computer and upgrade the unit to the superdrive model (I had the superdrive removed in my BTO). I did however opt to go stock and not take the 128VRAM. In reality, I will buy a more powerful desktop if I ever move into "needing" that much power. I did get a $50 upgrade for free (superdrive was 140 discount to remove and graphics was 90 to add). They are also going to ship it overnight as soon as FedEx shows they picked up the old unit. I have to say, I was pleased with the customer service this time around. I hope Apple continues to keep this up as I will be pleased if they do.