Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaizer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Malaysia
Hello guys, it's me again.

Yesterday (Sunday) I went to a Apple store to enquire about the Apple with normal RAM compatibility issues.

As mentioned in my previous post, this sales guys was telling me that I may risk frying my iBook's harddisk if I were to use non-apple specific ram.

And yesterday, this guy in another apple centre told me that it's not advisable to use non-apple specific ram. Although he didn't say the consequences will be.

Anyway, I plan to stick to y'all advice and outsorce from my PC supplier. Now my question is:

1. What are the specification of the non-apple specific rams y'all are using?

2. I've visited http://www.crucial.com, I think it's cheaper that those apple ram, but still expensive for my taste (I'm on a tight budget). I can get a SDRAM PC133 256Mb at around $50 USD.

3. What are the specifics that I should lookout for if I'm getting 3rd party RAM?
Is it just any SDRAM PC133 or should I think about 'parities'?

Thanks you everybody, it's been a tremendous help from this forum... Thank you!

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
go to http://www.ramseeker.com to find the best prices on ram, and to search by model.

there is ZERO difference between 'apple ram' and pc ram. you just need to fin something that has the right specs (just like with pcs). most apple ram vendors make it easy on you by letting you search by model instead of looking at the number of pins and speeds etc, but it is the same ram you would purchase form a pc vendor.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
heres proof. my DDR2700 RAM from apple, says samsung on it. no apple sticker even.

you know apple is stingy. they cant even afford to make it look like they try to validate the RAM prices with an apple sticker.

make sure you are looking at SODIMM RAM not ordinary DIMM RAM.

good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.