Apple's real plan for iPod video?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 14, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

When Apple finally makes the real jump to a real video ipod, i.e. large screen, on screen click wheel, then I'll bite and watch many a torrent on it, or TiVo shows.

They'll never get me to pay for TV twice (cable costs money, remember?)

3. macrumors 6502

Rightly said! But...

Im sure you can just simply conver your d/led videos in to the specified format, and just transfer them *just a theory*

I also agree that WE the consumer should be allowed to choose what videos go on our new ipods, By choose i mean whats in our libraries NOT the iTunes store

4. Guest

iGary

I think the article is right on.

Steve's not convinced, but he's willing to dip his toe in the water on the back of an already popular platform to find out, with little risk.

Sony and Creative have flopped marvelously with their video attempts.

5. macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Really, that sucks BIG time.

6. macrumors member

are you sure no FF or RR

I thought it scrubs with the click well just like the music or photos.

7. macrumors G5

nagromme

“No fast forward and rewind?!?”

Am I missing something? Isn't that what the "fast forward" and "rewind" buttons are for?

And since when is $1.99 "an arm and a leg for content that was once free"? If you want to watch TV reruns ad-free on your own schedule, you pay. DVD or download, you still pay.

And I'd certainly expect music PLUS video to cost more than just video.

As for Apple secretly planning to promote piracy (a word curiously absent from the article), Occam's Razor says "all signs point to NO."

8. macrumors 6502a

Can anything recorded from an EyeTV product be wacked on the iPod video? It appears from the site that it's the right format; so just record anything you like from FreeView and it's on the iPod. Wicked.

9. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Nice thing about innovation is someone's always doing it :) If there's not a nice little app now for converting vids to ".ipod" there will be 30 seconds after the doo-dad's in stores. For right now, there's Handbrake, BitTorrnet, Gnutella, TiVo, and, if you must, iTunes.

10. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Fair Use does not equal piracy, no matter what the thugs tell you.

11. macrumors 603

Stella

Did you also say that amount music ;-) ?

12. macrumors 65816

devman

13. macrumors G5

nagromme

And giving away creative works over file-sharing networks does not equal fair use, no matter what the pirates tell you ;)

(And yes, I have used and appreciated BitTorrent for legal purposes.)

14. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

I think Steve just made his "Dent in the universe" :cool:

15. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

I think it would be interesting if there ended up being a "Free Download Episode of the Week" where networks put up an episode of some show they think can hit but maybe hasn't hit yet just to drum up viewership.

I'd definitely download it and give it a watch depending on what the show was about. There are definitely a couple of shows this season that I just don't have time to watch. This could get me hooked on another one.

16. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IMHO the big problem with this is the bandwidth bill which is almost 100x larger than for a free song. If they could incorporate BitTorrent into iTunes so that you could download it from all the other people who've already downloaded it, it might have a shot. This would also open the door for BT podcasts, which currently dont work with iTunes.

B

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors G5

nagromme

I like it!

19. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure you'd need to convert EyeTV recordings for compatibility with the iPod audio/video specs, although you might be able to record MPEG-4 that's iPod-compatible without conversion. I only record MPEG-2 with my EyeTV 200 so I'd have to check if that's possible.

20. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Robert X. Cringley's "Seeing Is Believing" may be relevant to the topic of this thread (and others) although I haven't fully read it or the Engadget article yet so I'm only speculating any correlation. :)

21. macrumors regular

There are the usual previous/next track buttons, but no fast forward or rewind (as no iPod ever has). However, at least with audio you've always been able to fast forward and rewind very elegantly using the wheel (press the center button first). I'd normally say the author is just ignorant, but it's Engadget. Did they really take this feature away for video?

22. macrumors newbie

I've been in contact with the tech guys at El Gato (I'm pretty sure they hate me, and cringe when they see my name)

EyeTV200 & 500's Mpeg-4 format is not currently compatible with the new iPod, the one of the big issues being sound (EyeTV cannot record in AAC)
    they are working on preset export functions for the EyeTV software similar to how they set it up so that you can export to PSP... this does require full conversion however, so it will take time to create an iPod ready file

they are testing the presets, but at last email they didn't actually have an iPod video to test it with

in general, the thing that turned me off to the new iPod is the format issues, with an Archos you can plop most of what you already have onto the drive without reencoding, and it is 100% compatible with all of the video formats EyeTV uses...

so here's my wishlist:
    1. compatibility with more audio formats (for videos)
    2. compatibility with more video formats, specifically Xvid
    3. fast software to convert an MP4 recording from an EyeTV

23. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Maybe you've seen How to Convert Your EyeTV Recordings for a Video iPod? That doesn't mention anything about audio issues but does acknowledge Elgato's lack of an iPod for testing.

I always record in MPEG-2 format with my EyeTV 200. When I tested it, MPEG-4 quality was significantly poorer and not worth the smaller file sizes. And it's convenient to burn MPEG-2 as DVD-Video without reencoding.

My wishlist for EyeTV is mostly software-related, e.g. managing large and/or multiple libraries and improved program scheduling. I'd like EyeHome to eventually support more formats, even (hopefully) including Apple DRM content.

24. macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded from an EyeTV USB to a 200, mostly because the tuner went on the USB model... I agree about the MP4 quality, it's pretty poor and that was one of my big reasons for switching, so I was disappointed

as far as software goes, have you seen iEyeCaptain?
    http://www.vidcan.com/Software/iEyeCaptain.html
    it gives a lot of nice additional features

what I am really woondering though is this: is the VIDEO part of EyeTV's MP4 format compatible with iPod video?
    on my Windows machine at work I have virtualdub which allows me to reencode audio without having to do anything to the video... I have to believe that something similar exists on the Mac... but if it would be possible to use the video as is and change the audio, that would take very little time

I have a long wishlist for EyeTV too...

25. macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

The BBC is currently trialling this with iMP (interactive media player). PC only but a friend is on the trial and says it's great.