Apple's 'Red Friday' Sales Go Live in Several Asian Countries

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 5, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, we noted that Apple was planning to hold a "Red Friday" sale in a number of its Asian markets in celebration of the Lunar New Year. The sale has now gone live in those countries, and a quick examination of the Hong Kong promotion reveals similar discounts to those seen on Black Friday in much of the world back in November.

[​IMG]

In Hong Kong, Apple is offering discounts of roughly 8% on Wi-Fi iPad models across the board, while 3G-capable models are seeing slightly smaller discounts of 6-7%. The iPod touch is seeing approximately 10% discounts on all models, while the iPod nano is seeing a flat HK$ 80 discount that equates to an 8% discount on the 8 GB model and a 6.7% discount on the 16 GB model.

On the Mac side, Apple is offering a flat HK$ 770 discount on all MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac models. That discount translates to a 10% discount on the low-end MacBook Air, decreasing to 4% on the high-end MacBook Pro.

Apple's Red Friday sale is a one-day offer valid in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand.

Article Link: Apple's 'Red Friday' Sales Go Live in Several Asian Countries

2. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
  3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 68020

jclardy

Looks to be similar to Apple's Black Friday sale in the US.

5. macrumors G5

Consultant

I think grab bag is only in Japan.

6. macrumors 68040

No, the lucky bag is a Japanese tradition.

Note that the Japanese follow the Gregorian (Western) calendar, not the Chinese lunar calendar. The Japanese celebrate the New Year on January 1st.

7. macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Can we make this an American Tradition as well... at least for the Apple Stores here? I'd be all over this.

8. macrumors G4

*LTD*

I'd love that dragon wallpaper. Or maybe it's just an image placed there for marketing . . .

9. macrumors member

I really want that dragon for my iPad background.

10. macrumors 68040

Send an e-mail to Tim.

That said, the people you would need to convince would be Joe Consumer (or at least Apple's retail customers) and certainly not the people who frequent Apple rumor forums. Based on the pissy "these discounts are pitiful" comments on Black Friday, I doubt if this would fly.

Too many people would be suing Apple because they got a lucky bag with an iPod nano and not the one with the MacBook Air.

11. macrumors 6502

You're right theres no way this would work in the US, people wouldn't find it fun to take the risk. That being said, I don't think people would sue Apple, the cost to get a laser wouldn't justify the difference in price between the MBA and the iPod. And if you were to take them to court for some reason, apple would probably happily settle by handing the consumer a laptop.

12. macrumors 6502

28monkeys

13. SANALAO168, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

macrumors newbie

why is philippines not included on the 2nd post

philippines was included in the first news thread and subsequently nowhere to be found in this thread. we do celebrate chinese new year too, in fact our government declared that day to be a holiday. Apple, why not us? guess we are too small a market

14. macrumors regular

I went to the IFC store about an hour ago, the queue is huge! It stretched across the length of the store inside and then outside. Was hoping to pick up a 32Gb model but ended up having to ask a family member to order one for me online because I'm sure as hell not going to queue up for 2+ hours since I have work.

Gonna be a new owner of a new iPad 2 in about a days time :D

15. macrumors 6502