Apple's Retail Stores Running Dry of AirPort and Time Capsule Stocks?

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

We've received several reports today indicating that Apple's retail stores are quickly running out of stock of the various AirPort and Time Capsule wireless networking products, hinting that a full refresh for the line could take place as part of the company's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) keynote next Monday.

One source has indicated that his local Apple retail store has completely sold out of both Time Capsule models, as well as the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express base stations. A second source reported that Time Capsules are sold out at a different location, with Apple sales reps indicating that no new shipments appeared to be planned. There was no word on the status of AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express stocks at that location.

It seems now that TUAW has been hearing similar reports. They too have heard that several Apple Stores across the US are low or out of stock of AirPort devices.
    TUAW acknowledges that WWDC is expected to be a software only event, but also raises the possibility that updates could come somehow be tied to Apple's iCloud offering.

Article Link: Apple's Retail Stores Running Dry of AirPort and Time Capsule Stocks?
  2. macrumors member

Jun 22, 2008
    A new Airport Extreme would be nice, along with AT LEAST a $50 price cut. $180 for that thing is ridiculous, especially with similar routers going for well under $100 (sometimes under $50) from other manufacturers...
  3. macrumors member

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Wonder if they'll add some kind of iCloud functionality? What else would they add?
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2007
    I'm sure they will release a new one since I just decided last month to finally get an extreme. :rolleyes:

But really, what feature of icloud would require new hardware as opposed to a firmware upgrade?
  5. macrumors member

Oct 11, 2010
    Good luck keeping a high load multiple connection on your Linksys. There is a good reason the Airport Extreme costs as much as it does: it works.
  6. macrumors 65816

I sure has hell don't want to back my HD only up to the icloud. I use TC to do the hourly backups and back up the HD on a separate disk kept away from the office monthly.

Yes I have some files on iDisk, but this is just for ready mobile access, not for safe and secure backup.
  7. macrumors 68020

May 6, 2010
    The United States
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Hmm... something's rather fishy. :D
  8. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    I hope this is a lacklustre upgrade if true, since I just bought one yesterday...

Edit: The retailer I bought from has a 30-day return policy. Let's see what WWDC brings.
  9. macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Haha. DD-WRT on my Linksys? I'm all about Apple products, but you know... I don't drink the Kool-Aid.
  10. macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2007
    Then return it...
  11. labrats5, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

macrumors member

Feb 22, 2006
    Wow, Apple is reading my mind

Just yesterday I was thinking how Apple could differentiate their cloud services with a simple NAS solution. Imagine having a centralized backup of all your files in your home, with an itunes media server that can be accessed remotely from anywhere you have an internet connection, all for no subcription fee because you own the storage and the bandwidth. Apple has all the piece. All they need to do now is make it easy.

$179 for the airport extreme is actually pretty competitive. A simultaneous dual-band router with gigabit ethernet and usb NAS support will run you at least $149 from linksys (namely the E3200), and they don't give you usb printing. Apple also gives you a much better setup experience as well as simple integration with the best network bridge available (the airport express), which costs the same as linksys' bridge and has more features.
  12. macrumors 68020

May 6, 2010
    The United States
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I actually forgot that they sold these until now.
  13. macrumors member

Jul 16, 2006
    Everyone's not out

My local Best Buy has the 1TB $299 Time Capsule available for $359.99. That's their regular price. No wonder they have some left.
  14. macrumors member

Feb 19, 2009
    Overland Park, KS
  15. macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Time Capsul that now backs up your iOS devices.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2011
    Same here. But, hey, it's a router. What could they possibly be upgrading?
  17. macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2009
    Just received my Airport Extreme today from Amazon, but they have a good return policy should Apple release a new one on Monday...

Even if I keep it, it works great!
  18. macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2004
    More interfaces,,,

Thunderbird and SD would be nice, and a direct integration with Apple TV.
  19. macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003
  20. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2010
    sweet, i can still return my airports. I hope they update the express to dual band and make them have a thunderbolt/ usb port across the board for local backups.
  21. macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2008
    Auckland New Zealand
    What interesting timing, my Airport Extreme has been acting very odd recently, and no amount of rebooting or resetting to factory was improving it's range and signal strength, was considering looking for a new wifi solution, and I might just have one presented to me next week by the sounds of it....
  22. macrumors 68040

Jun 20, 2007
    Very good news. I have been waiting at the sideline for an update, and it seems likely it could be tied into the iCloud streaming media locker.
  23. macrumors 68030

Oct 16, 2007
    Don't think Apple wants to add cars to their routers ;)
  24. macrumors 601

Jun 18, 2007
    I don't know about Linksys, but my Netgear WNDR3700 dual-radio works like a charm. Airport Express is purposely bandwidth limited for making a network, so that's a put-off on Apple products right there, IMO.

I'm not exactly sure what else they can do to the Airport Extreme to make it better at this point, though. There is no 802.11X or anything to move to. I suppose a high speed NAS option (maybe using Thunderbolt) would be sweet. Time Capsule could always be improved with dual hard drive options or something plus Thunderbolt hard connections. They could also offer a way to run a full blown iTunes server that works with movies/tv shows to serve the new AppleTV units. It would probably be custom, though since Apple doesn't like anyone buying 3rd party products and a standardized way to do it like UPnP/NAS would ruin that.

I doubt it would just be lower prices. They wouldn't have to pull the lines to lower the price.
  25. macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Jan 7, 2006
    I wish they'd combine the AirPort Express, Time Capsule, and Apple TV to make an all-in-one you prop by your TV screen.... aw, who am I kidding, aside from myself?