Apple's Reversible USB-Lightning Cable Unlikely for iPhone 6, but New Adapter Possible

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 24, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Amid rumors of a new Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector and a redesigned power adapter from Apple, third-party vendor is claiming that while the adapter may be ready for launch alongside the iPhone 6 next month, Apple is not yet ready to debut its new Lightning cable. says that it is an MFi-certified vendor working with Apple's primary Lightning cable provider and that Apple has not yet placed any orders for the new cable.
    According to, the manufacturing partner has sent samples of the Lightning cable with reversible USB connector to Apple for approval, but Apple has yet to move forward with manufacturing orders. Even once it does, it will reportedly be several months before the cables are ready.

The redesigned power adapter may, however, be ready to launch with the iPhone 6, as tells MacRumors the design has been confirmed and mass production is already underway. According to the report, the new adapter supports up to 2A of current, twice that of the current adapter shipping with the iPhone. The new adapter will reportedly be able to power all iPhone, iPod, and iPad mini models, with the redesign likely driven by the higher power requirements of the larger iPhone 6 models.'s prototype adapter and cable based on Apple's designs is planning to offer its own versions of the cable and adapter from its MFi-licensed manufacturing partners, and is currently taking pre-orders with plans of October delivery if it can obtain a sufficient number of pre-orders to initiate production.

Article Link: Apple's Reversible USB-Lightning Cable Unlikely for iPhone 6, but New Adapter Possible
  2. macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Well, I certainly won't be buying the new iPhone now. :rolleyes:
  3. macrumors 6502

Jul 12, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Is the added bulk on the power adapter really necessary, or are they adding bulk to it just for the sake of it?
  4. macrumors 603

Jan 20, 2010
    Only 2 watts shy of being able to also replace the larger iPad/iPad air chargers. Oh well, we can't have it all.
  5. AngerDanger, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014

macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2008
    Jeez, the possibility of a new cable or adapter is vaguely reminiscent of the the… erm, excitement surrounding the imminent release of Lightning. I really hope they cover this in movie form as thoroughly as they treat Jobs' life:

6. macrumors 65816

Jan 7, 2014
    Increasing the power for charging and unifying the chargers between the iPads and iPhones.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 12, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Makes sense now. Thank you!
  8. macrumors 65816

Jan 7, 2014
    Or maybe the newer devices charge faster?
  9. macrumors 603

Apr 1, 2009
    15 minutes in the future
    When will there be a Thunderbolt to Lighting cable? The naming schemes seem like they go together, and it would finally give that port on my Mac something to do!
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 8, 2010
  11. macrumors 6502

Jul 30, 2008
    thats cool and all, but i bought mine a couple days ago:rolleyes:
  12. macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2014
    That does seem to be a bit of an overstatement.
  13. macrumors 601

Oct 5, 2003
    Dark Castle
    Whatever it is they release hopefully it will improve the charging speed, as well as a battery that lasts like the old nokias...
  14. macrumors 68040

Jan 8, 2013
    i already use to charge my iphone and ipad air from the ipad air charger
  15. macrumors 65816

Dec 30, 2006
    Does anybody else think it's stupid to not have the USB symbol on both sides of the USB end of the cable? I already have a bunch of regular lightning cables. With this cable as-is, I'd have to check the inside of the connector to see if it's reversible just to be sure. In that time, I might as well just put it in, USB symbol up.
  16. macrumors 603

Aug 4, 2011
    Boooo, They should just ship the iPad charger. Its fold in prongs are way nice for dropping in a bag and not snagging on stuff.
  17. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

Jul 28, 2012
    It would probably be priced at $60 a pop if Apple is feeling generous.

They should stick a USB charging port on macbook chargers too. It would save so much hassle.
  18. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2008
    First thing I thought seeing that video..
  19. macrumors 68000

Jun 24, 2010
    It will not charge any faster than a 1 amp charger that comes with the phone. My Note 3 draws 2 amps which takes a little under 2 hours to charge. My wifes iPhone 5 only pulls 1 amp so the same charger for my Note 3 or iPad will only give 1 amp; charging the phone in 2 hours.
    If the iPhone 6 has a 2000mah battery with charging circuitry that can pull 2 amps that would give you 1 hour to charge give or take.
  20. macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2014
    USB reversible cable

I think this is great that Apple is ahead on this one, it's gonna happen anyway.
    I am disturbed by the way the person on the video is pulling the cable out by it's strain relief; not good practice, and how many people are going to see this.
  21. macrumors 65816

May 25, 2012
    Nooooooo...... not getting iphone 6 without reverse cable :rolleyes:
  22. macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2007
    BFE, MI
    Neither of them are a compelling reason to get or not to get the iPhone 6.
  23. macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2008
    Who gives a sh|t! It's a cable. So now, just like health apps and health earbuds, we are going to have 1000 USB cables to choose from? I'll wait until Apple decides to change. I'm of high enough IQ that I can easily insert my USB cable into my MBP. If and when Apple adds the reversible cable with its products, I'll use it. Not going out and spending even $1 on a cable I don't need.
  24. macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2012
    Just remember:

"Best product pipeline in 25 years"
  25. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2011
    How many times do you plug/unplug your lighting-cable into a USB port?

Mine usually stays connected to the power adapter.