Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

124649-googleapple.jpg

The New York Times walks through the timeline of the current Google and Apple rivalry and reveals that the competition has become quite personal.
Yet according to interviews with two dozen industry watchers, Silicon Valley investors and current and former employees at both companies — most of whom requested anonymity to protect their jobs or business relationships — the clash between Mr. Schmidt and Mr. Jobs offers an unusually vivid display of enmity and ambition.
The increasing tensions between the two companies have already been revealed in comments made by Steve Jobs during the town meeting, and most recently in a patent lawsuit filed against Google-partner HTC. Apple has reportedly became concerned about Android, and made good on a promise to Google that if they introduced multi-touch into Android, they would sue. Google provided a software update adding multi-touch to the Nexus One in February.

The two companies have also sparred over acquiring the same companies. In fact, Google reportedly swooped in to acquire Admob after Apple had expressed significant interest. Google paid a 25% premium over Apple's initial offer primarily to keep Admob out of Apple's hands.

The increasing competition has even resulted in Apple considering replacing Google's search engine with Microsoft's Bing as the default on the iPhone.

Article Link: Apple's Rivalry With Google Gets Personal

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
This is all fine, except for the last line. I don't want Bing as the iphone search engine. Yuck.

Hopefully it will just be the "default" engine, meaning the user can change it to google if they wish.

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Apple has every right

Legally, Apple has every right. And before we judge Apple, let us not forget all the other companies who have gone after them recently. If they want to play the game, Apple will join.

LucidPsychosis

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I don't give a rat's ass about the rivalry itself (although competition leads to innovation, which is a good thing), but I would greatly prefer Bing being the default search engine for the iPhone.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
The thing Apple is worried about is that, since Google has so much money, they are going to destroy their opportunity in the phone market. Google really has no limits. A great example is mapping the ocean, for free? WTF is all that about? They do just because "they can".

Ams.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
so the locked down iPhone OS might soon only have Bing search to accompany no Flash support? the choice to leave is becoming increasingly much easier to make.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
After seeing the augmented reality map demo that Microsoft put out recently I'd have no problem welcoming Bing as the iPhone default at all. It really was revolutionary.

Wonder how much of this is trumped up though. Or for all we know it could be about to get pretty nasty, hard to maintain a trusting relationship when you've got lawsuits filed..

bnerd

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
I'm starting to think the media outlets are doing this just to get readers.

This is like the Tupac and Biggie of the tech world... it's all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
There sure are a lot of negative votes for a forum that loves to complain about lack of competition.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
so the locked down iPhone OS might soon only have Bing search to accompany no Flash support? the choice to leave is becoming increasingly much easier to make.

It will just be the default search engine if the rumor is true. Right now Google is default and Yahoo! is optional. All that will happen most likely is Yahoo! Bing will become the default and Google will become optional.

Just have to go into preferences and change to Google.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
No mention about the fact that the lawsuit is on hold (initiated by Apple) so how many Google/ HTC handsets [with Open Source OS] can be sold before 2012?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
No mention about the fact that the lawsuit is on hold (initiated by Apple) so how many Google/ HTC handsets [with Open Source OS] can be sold before 2012?

That's the Nokia suit. I haven't read anything that says the HTC one is on hold.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
The ironic part is [the man in black] eventually gets his way. (LOST reference)

I think you've got the heads mixed up, then. Besides the fact that Jobs is universally known as the man in black (turtlenecks), maybe Schmidt should be Jacob. Then the original quote, "Do you have any idea how badly I want to kill you" still fits.

In fact;

SCHMIDT: I take it you're here because of the Multi-Touch.
MAN IN BLACK: I am. How did they find my technology?
SCHMIDT: You'll have to ask them when they get here.
MAN IN BLACK: I don't have to ask. You gave it to them. Still trying to prove me wrong, aren't you?
SCHMIDT: You are wrong.
MAN IN BLACK: Am I? They copy. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same.
SCHMIDT: It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.
MAN IN BLACK: Do you have any idea how badly I want to kill you?
SCHMIDT: Yes.
MAN IN BLACK: One of these days, sooner or later... I'm going to find a loophole, my friend.
SCHMIDT: Well, when you do, I'll be right here.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The Chrome OS concept makes more sense for Google compared to Android. In June the Banners at the Apple WWDC will say "Google, start your photocopiers." and "Google, multi-touch this!".

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
The problem with Google as a company is they have no interest in your privacy. There interests is your information they can use to line their pockets. Thy equate that to content.

The evil scheme is to give you everything for free in exchange for everyone they can find out about you and use that information to market to you.

I'd rather pay for my books and keep them private.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That's the Nokia suit. I haven't read anything that says the HTC one is on hold.

The HTC suits (ITC and D.DE) are not on hold.

Nor are the Nokia suits on hold. The Federal District Court has placed a stay on proceedings pending the ITC suit - this is common, as the ITC thing might settle the matter and the district courts don't like wasting their time. The district court case wouldn't have been settled before the ITC thing anyway.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
This is all fine, except for the last line. I don't want Bing as the iphone search engine. Yuck.

Hopefully it will just be the "default" engine, meaning the user can change it to google if they wish.

Yeah, if they drop Google for Bing, our choices might be Bing and Yahoo. Since Yahoo is already the second option on every iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.