Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The performance of a Toyota at the price of a Mercedes.

;)

Thank you - but the Lexus usually has a few odd extras - like the light-up "Lexus" logos on the running boards.

Gee, that's a lot like the light-up fruit logos on some over-priced laptops.

If the "added value" is lighted logos, you should think about value.

ps: My mother-in-law (yes, I'm a gay man with a legally recognized mother-in-law) has two Avalons - one at the house on Cape Cod and one at the winter home in Florida. She's occasionally mentioned that her Toyotas have "Lexus engines".

I've never tried to point out that all Lexus cars have Toyota engines - so of course her Toyota has a Lexus engine. Just smile and be a good son-in-law. :D

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
;)

Thank you - but the Lexus usually has a few odd extras - like the light-up "Lexus" logos on the running boards.

Gee, that's a lot like the light-up fruit logos on some over-priced laptops.

If the "added value" is lighted logos, you should think about value.

ps: My mother-in-law (yes, I'm a gay man with a legally recognized mother-in-law) has two Avalons - one at the house on Cape Cod and one at the winter home in Florida. She's occasionally mentioned that her Toyotas have "Lexus engines".

I've never tried to point out that all Lexus cars have Toyota engines - so of course her Toyota has a Lexus engine. Just smile and be a good son-in-law. :D

But it's a great customer service experience. When you go in for your 129.99 oil change, you get free soda and Perrier in the customer lounge.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Sure there is. Sony. Just as expensive as Apple, yet prone to problems (runs Windows).

Running Windows doesn't make you more prone to problems than running OS X, Linux or any other OS.

(Not to mention Apple rips off Sony for ideas... chiclet keyboard anyone ?)

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Running Windows doesn't make you more prone to problems than running OS X, Linux or any other OS.

You're a enterprise grade admin yet you can say that with a straight face. I'm impressed.

(Not to mention Apple rips off Sony for ideas... chiclet keyboard anyone ?)

Weren't Sinclair the first to use Chiclet Keys? Or are you just talking about the style of chiclet keys? If its the former every company and their dog has used chiclet keyboards. Apple is hardly copying when when its just about a standard from the 80s.

800px-Timex_sinclair_2068_%282%29.jpg

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You're a enterprise grade admin yet you can say that with a straight face. I'm impressed.

After you've had so much obscure problems with Linux, HP-UX and Solaris (not to mention various bugs in multi-thousand dollar packages from Sun, HP, Veritas and other vendors), you tend to not sweat the Windows stuff anymore.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
After you've had so much obscure problems with Linux, HP-UX and Solaris (not to mention various bugs in multi-thousand dollar packages from Sun, HP, Veritas and other vendors), you tend to not sweat the Windows stuff anymore.

Those aren't problems, they're a source of income. ;)

---

I find its usually the software running on top of the OS that's the source of technical pain, very few times have I had issues with OSes themselves. My most common sources of OS pain though are things like SELinux or NT Policies.

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

veritas bugs? never

my favorite linux experience was trying to get an HP tape library working on RHEL. after two weeks i gave up and within 3 hours of starting the windows install i was running backups. with linux i was chasing exact patch versions to make the drivers work and then some veritas tools wouldnt work on linux.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
maybe these royalty payments are part of the reason apple is only offering a $100 gift card subsidy on the BTS promotion (and not the usual ipod touch)?

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
maybe these royalty payments are part of the reason apple is only offering a $100 gift card subsidy on the BTS promotion (and not the usual ipod touch)?

Probably unrelated. I think the GC has more to do with Apple's enormous push to get everything 'Appified'. They want you investing as much money as they can get you to into the iOS ecosystem via app purchases. Apple wants to keep you as a customer for life, and if you are heavily invested in the platform you're less likely to jump ship later.

This is a better deal for some folks who don't need or wouldn't bother to sell the Touch. Though I'm the type who was more likely to flip the Touch for some dough myself.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Those aren't problems, they're a source of income. ;)

---

I find its usually the software running on top of the OS that's the source of technical pain, very few times have I had issues with OSes themselves. My most common sources of OS pain though are things like SELinux or NT Policies.

This is true. However, we have more OSX issues because of the lack of built in management features. JAMF Casper has helped us a lot (no we can finally ditch OSX Server, what a joke.)

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
Maybe the diamond, and other luxury stones, is a more adequate comparison (it's an extreme of what I'm trying to say about Apple). People spend up to millions, for something that has nearly no real life value (I know, drilling and sawing, but those are synthetic and aren't worth nearly as much)) It's purely "symbolic", YOU CAN'T DO **** WHIT IT - but stil you gladly pay 5-10 grand on one example. Why? Symbolics? In my opinion, this is because of marketing.

The worth of objects isn't defined by it's usability (or it's performance in comparison to other machines) but by how much someone is willing to pay for it.

Surely performance charts, reviews can help you in forming an opinion about the value of a product - and that's why I conclude Apple is a luxurious brand. It costs more while not offering much more. Sublime designs, great OS, but there's no company in the industry that has any higher profit margins.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You must have been using some other "Windows" the last 20 years.

veritas bugs? never

my favorite linux experience was trying to get an HP tape library working on RHEL. after two weeks i gave up and within 3 hours of starting the windows install i was running backups. with linux i was chasing exact patch versions to make the drivers work and then some veritas tools wouldnt work on linux.
You do understand that what you just said is not about the OS, but about 3rd party drivers/equipment?

Windows can't even switch between apps properly. That is an OS issue.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
You must have been using some other "Windows" the last 20 years.

You do understand that what you just said is not about the OS, but about 3rd party drivers/equipment?

Windows can't even switch between apps properly. That is an OS issue.

Can't switch... what?

You mean alt-tab or windows-tab? Or just clicking from one window to another...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.