Apple's screensaver?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by calebjohnston, May 27, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

When in a retail store, you see the inactive computers have a "screensaver" where it's scrolling words along the left side and... something else. It looks nifty. Anywhere know if us mere mortals have access to that somewhere as a screensaver?

2. imacintel macrumors 68000

Caleb,

I think you mean the little apple floating around? If you mean that, you can choose "Computer Name" in System Preferences.:)

3. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Actually... that's not it. Thanks though. It's hard to describe. I've only seen it at the store but it's a bunch of words scrolling down on the left like...

Blog.
    Podcast.
    Create.
    Develop.
    Blah.
    Blee.
    Bloo

4. hidea macrumors regular

So, anything? I emailed someone I know from Apple Store and I hope he can help me with it!

5. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Cool. Let us know what he says. I'm guessing it's some uber-apple-employee thing, but who knows.

6. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

It's probably a custom screensaver for the stores. Lovated in the screensaver folder in the user library, should be easy to aquire.

7. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Someone... do some acquiring :).

Gas is too expensive for me to drive for an hour just to get that.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

It's a .mov file. Easy to Spotlight...

*cough* flash drive *cough* visit Apple Store *cough*

9. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Hehehehe. :). That's on my list of things to do. However, I guess having one job really only supports... getting to that job and nothing else. I hate gasoline. I had to take some out of my mower the other day.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

At my Apple Store (as of the last time I was there) the screen saver was the Eminem iPods ad. :confused:

It's really cool seeing every computer in the store playing an iPod ad in sync.

11. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Oh? Interesting... no Eminem iPod ad at mine. Thank god. I don't need that homie all up in my grill when I'm making sweet eye-love to the macs.

EDIT:

Someone send me an email? cvjohnston@gmail.com

Just wanna make sure it's all working right.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

While dashing out of the store with a flash drive containing the super-secret screen saver, watch your back to make sure Jobs doesn't popup from behind the counter with a machine gun spraying a barrage of bullets in your direction.

I've seen it happen... Twice. :eek:

13. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

It funny you mention that because i was just in the grand opening of the apple sotre by me in the freehold raceway mall, and was wondering the same thing. idk maybe its something that apple reps only have acess to?

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, it is not a screensaver. It is a QT movie and an app which plays it when there's a given amount of inactivity.

15. hidea macrumors regular

The person I contacted said he will do his best to figure it out and pass it on to me!

16. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

He's right about the autotime ap. It plays a movie file called demo.mov. I have installer disks to other versions, like the winton marsalis ad and such, but not the apple store ones.

17. Nate4747 macrumors regular

You could find a cool store employee, they might hook you up. You just have to find the right person.

18. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Doesn't work so well as a screensaver. I've never heard the fans so loud after only a few minutes.