Apple's Secrecy Extends to Putting New Employees on Fake Projects

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In his new book, Inside Apple, Adam Lashinsky details the process undergone by new hires at Apple, noting that many of them are hired without knowing the exact project they are working on that they are frequently put through a testing period working on a different project in order to provide time to evaluate their trustworthiness.
    As noted by Business Insider, a former Apple engineer confirmed that piece of information during the Q&A portion of Lashinsky's recent talk at LinkedIn (video clip via Fortune), going even farther to note that new hires are even sometimes placed on fake products during this probationary period.
    Lashinsky's tidbit on new hires is just one facet of his lengthier coverage of Apple's strict secrecy, part of which has been republished for Fortune as a look into how Apple's organizational structure maintains the company's security. His full 50-minute LinkedIn talk is also available on YouTube.

Article Link: Apple's Secrecy Extends to Putting New Employees on Fake Projects

2. macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

I really must read this book - read the first chapter as a sample on iBooks and still have a copy of the Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson to read too... Not enough hours in the day...!

3. macrumors G3

Kilamite

I'd love to know what the fake projects were.

"Today guys, we're going to reinvent the toilet."

4. macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Thats amazing, although a good way of evaluating their work without making mistakes on a 'live' project.

5. macrumors 6502

"Thats amazing, although a good way of evaluating their work without making mistakes on a 'live' project."

And yet, we have Lion and countless other examples of people making mistakes on "live" projects.

6. macrumors regular

"The new hires have been welcomed but not yet indoctrinated and aren't necessarily to be trusted with information as sensitive as their own mission."

Quite telling.

7. macrumors 6502

It must be a complete thrill and a total nightmare to work for Apple.

8. macrumors 6502

Great way to test for leaks.

9. Blakjack, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I always thought about it, but now I am convinced that Apple is a branch of the CIA.

EDIT: I was only joking guys...Geeeez

10. macrumors member

please you act like a new OS never has an issue or more...Lion is far from Vista status and with the exception of a couple changes I didn't like and a handful of bugs...it's just fine, Leopard 2.0. Relax...

11. macrumors 6502a

Finally! A new post. I swear MacRumors just shuts down on the weekends. It's like a 9-5 job! Please post on the weekends, macrumors!

On topic: it's insane how secretive apple can be. Insanely awesome.

12. macrumors 68000

xlii

North Korea could learn from these guys. Fake products... I never would have guessed it.

13. macrumors G5

Who mentioned Vista or made any comparison? The OP just said that Lion is an example where mistakes were made.

14. macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Yeah, wow.

15. macrumors 6502

I tried Lion. It's not a Leopard II. You want fundamental mistakes? Screwing around unnecessarily with the user interface counts to me. Hiding the part of the file dialogue that lets you see the list of hard drives counts.

Yeah, a few bugs always sneak through. These are not bugs, they're fundamental design errors. Macintouch has a huge discussion with both sides chiming in, and I really don't think the "get over it" side has much to go on.

Just because Microsoft makes mistakes, doesn't mean Apple doesn't. That's like claiming I should love Adobe customer service because it's slightly better than Intuit's.

16. macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

That's pretty much exactly what I thought when I saw the vid.

17. macrumors 6502

jadot

You should cut down, and then slowly try to re-integrate into the real world.
    This story satisfied your 'need' for something (anything) Apple related?
    Wow.

18. HangmanSwingset, Jan 30, 2012

macrumors 6502

HangmanSwingset

"Alright newbie, we need you to go to the store and buy some elbow grease and headlight fluid."

19. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

My thoughts exactly. It seems like the shelf life for employees would be short because many people couldn't handle the constant paranoia and hassle of working at Apple (though one can understand WHY the company is like that). And interviewing for 9 months? There's no job in the world that I want that badly.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that the people running this site like to have a real life on the weekend and do things other than post to a website. Crazy, I know.

20. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It's all rather moot. As soon as you're relying on external companies for components - or in particular - for the entire manufacturing, assembly & packaging process; you completely lose control of product secrecy.

And with the volumes that Apple needs in advance of the product launch; and the time the manufacturers need to manufacture those units; we're not just talking about handing designs to external manufacturers in the last couple of weeks of a project, but rather many months ahead of the launch.

How often has Apple recently launched a product that was a complete surprise to all observers? Exactly.

21. macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What news is going to come out on the weekend? Most of their sources will be 9-5. Ever thought about that?

22. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Some people have lives, you know!

23. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I wish "new employees" rather than "new hires" was used.

24. mave1969, Jan 30, 2012

macrumors newbie

mave1969

Asteroid?

Isn't it pretty much accepted that the "Asteroid" Garage Band audio breakout box that brought down Think Secret was, in fact, such a fake project designed to catch leaks?

25. macrumors 68040

KdParker

This is not surprising for anyone that has worked as a developer on high profile initiatives.