Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
In Germany the chain name is Mediaworld or Mediamarkt? Because they also have an e-reader section.

Yeah, "Saturn" and "Media Markt". They both belong to the same mother company, though, so it makes no real difference where you buy - they get your money anyway... :)

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
You have to live in a very isolated place then.
Well, you live in Spain, the country wasting the fourth most money on Android tablets in the world. Sure you've seen the Kindle.
He surely doesn't know that his "Saturn" market in Berlin also has an e-reader section...
I believe it is gone in favor of the tablets section, e-readers with an e-ink screen are only sold in the Thalia book stores anymore. iPads of course, do not belong to tablets, but in a special Apple section.
Yeah, "Saturn" and "Media Markt". They both belong to the same mother company, though, so it makes no real difference where you buy - they get your money anyway... :)
Not my money. Switching over to the Mac also means, switching away from everything sold by Mediamarkt. Since Apple is retiring optical drives, there is no form of media, hardware or accessory left for me to buy at Saturn.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Well, you live in Spain, the country wasting the fourth most money on Android tablets in the world. Sure you've seen the Kindle.

I didn't knew that a Kindle was an Android tablet, or that eink readers were Android tablets.

But well, if you say that you have not seen a single eink reader, well, we'll believe you.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I didn't knew that a Kindle was an Android tablet, or that eink readers were Android tablets.
Than let me inform you, that Kindles are indeed android tablets, except when they are e-ink readers. Ask Amazon, why they reused the same brand name for two very different products.
But well, if you say that you have not seen a single e-ink reader, well, we'll believe you.
Never said that, just not a Kindle e-ink reader. Which was supposed to be the most successful e-reader in the world. I've seen plenty of attempts to establish an e-reader market. Most interesting so far was the txtr beagle for 20€ with standard batteries. First it was unavailable, now it is sold out. It had some press over here, because it came from a Berlin-based startup. Still I'm not convinced, that I want to own any e-ink device even if it were free.

Besides these small players, there were Sony and Amazon trying to establish an e-reader market. Sony failed and Amazon never said how many devices they sold. But when the iPad came out, they immediately started to make Android based Kindles with color screens. Nobody knows how big the e-reader market was, but now its owned by the tablet market. Buyers of Amazons Kindle Fire also play Angry Birds and watch movies. Multi-Purpose won!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.