Apple's Share of Tablet Market Surges to 68% as Kindle Fire Shipments Plummet

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 3, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

IDC today released its data on worldwide tablet shipments for the first quarter of 2012, revealing that despite a quarterly drop in iPad shipments of over 20%, Apple's share of the tablet market rose to 68% from last quarter's 54.7%. Apple's boost came at the expense of Android-based tablets, most notably Amazon's Kindle Fire which appears to have seen its shipments collapse from 4.8 million units in the fourth quarter of 2011 to less than 750,000 units last quarter.
    Amazon had surged into second place in the tablet market during the fourth quarter with a 16.8% share of the market as the Kindle Fire debuted in the United States. But while IDC did not report a number for Amazon's first quarter shipments in its press release, it did note that Amazon's share dropped to to "just over 4%" in the total tablet market of 17.4 million units, yielding shipment volume of roughly 700,000-750,000 units for Amazon.

[​IMG]

As a result of Amazon's decline, Samsung was able to regain the second position in the tablet market, ahead of Amazon, Lenovo, and Barnes & Noble. Amazon's slide also comes as mass retailer Target yesterday announced plans to discontinue the sale of all Kindle devices and other Amazon- and Kindle-branded products.

The overall tablet market grew 120% year-over-year, but the 38% quarter-over-quarter decline was even steeper than expected coming off the strong holiday quarter. Apple obviously has a significant influence on the overall tablet market given its dominant position, and the company did ship slightly fewer than expected iPads during the quarter as consumers held off on iPad 2 purchases ahead of the new iPad's launch and Apple experienced some supply constraints when the device did launch with just three weeks left in the quarter.

Article Link: Apple's Share of Tablet Market Surges to 68% as Kindle Fire Shipments Plummet

2. macrumors regular

Yup, the market for the iPad mini is huge! lol

3. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I guess everyone that wants one has one. That's the thing with low price of entry. Takes less time for everyone to get one that wants one.

4. macrumors regular

No surprise really. The Kindle Fire is targeted to niche markets, the iPad has wider appeal.

Samsung won't be able to touch the tablet market in the same way Apple does without offering something new and better than the iPad. And let's face it it's not going to happen.

5. macrumors 68000

spiderman0616

The Kindle Fire was only announced in September of 2011. It's nowhere near a year old yet. And it was supposed to be the iPad killer, so this is pretty crazy news.

6. macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

WOW! I was under the impression that the Kindle Fire was selling like hotcakes. oh well...

7. macrumors 68000

milani

I don't doubt the iPad has the majority of the market, but I frankly don't believe these "shipment" numbers from IDC and NPD anymore.

8. macrumors regular

Proof that the fire was appetizing around christmas time because it was cheap. Those actually going out and making a tablet purchase, doing research, etc, end up buying the iPad.

9. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

September. Is it so young! :eek: kind of feels like its been around ages longer than it has so.

It would be interesting to find out how many people bought the kindle fire over the holiday season, had their appetites whetted, and then moved over to the new iPad on its launch.

10. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    So comparing 1Q12 to 4Q11:

The Kindle sold 4 million less than the holiday quarter.

The iPad sold 3.6 million less than the holiday quarter.

--

The Kindle Fire still is mostly a US domestic product, as well, while the iPad sells in many countries.

11. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Nothing like putting a little fanboy lipstick on bad news.

"Our sales sucked... just not as bad as everyone else's". :)

12. macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

People don't want tablets, they want iPads.

13. macrumors member

Nice try ... anounced in september and released november 15th means about 4 months old when the new iPad was released.

14. macrumors 68030

bbeagle

Don't worry - the Fandroids will always rewrite history when they don't like the results.

15. macrumors regular

In a way its a shame as Apple really works best where theres competition that pushes Apple to be it's best. (I'm looking at you notifications). I really want there to be so that the iPad just gets better and better! :D That said, new iPad is miles ahead of all the Android tablets I've used in terms of experience, so it really doesn't surprise me that the iPad still dominates.

16. macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

If Business Insider is to be believed. Walmart sold more iPads, than Amazon sold Kindle Fires. Apparently Walmart sold about 1.3 million iPads.

17. macrumors 6502

You used Samsung, new and better in the same sentence. That is a first. They will just copy the next device that Apple produces.

18. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I guess Tim Cook was right when he said that nobody wants a limited function tablet! I've been doing some slight photo editing in the PS Touch app, as well as some word processing, and a few other things that would not be available on the Kindle Fire. No surprise that people have lost interest. The iPad has become a tool for me where I personally view the Kindle Fire as a toy! :cool:

19. macrumors 65816

linux2mac

20. macrumors 65816

Although it is a tablet, the kindle is marketed as an e-reader.

Unlike an iPad, there isn't a reason to go out and get the new model when it comes out, and the Kindle's abilities as a computing platform for email, web browsing, etc are limited.

The Galaxy Tab 2 7" is the tablet to be worried about. Thin, great battery life, runs the latest version of android, plays mkv/divx/avi/h.264 out of the box, has a wolfson DAC, and costs $250 new.

They take SIM cards. People hack them to give them full phone capability.

If Samsung had any clue how to market it, then they would sell quite a few of them.

21. macrumors 65816

I have a bridge to sell you if you believed that. ;)

This is why Amazon doesn't release their individual sales units...they don't want the word getting out.

Don't make assumptions. I know a lot of people that want a smaller iPad the size of the Kindle...If Apple made it...it would still sell and make money for them...lots of money.

22. macrumors regular

What consumers though? Where I work and amongst my friends I have seen two trends (tech people)

1. They are all moving away from iPhone/iOS devices
    2. They are mostly going Windows Phone (which I dislike even more than iOS)

I just hope that there continues to be a choice, as I will never give Apple another penny.

23. macrumors regular

As a long time Apple user, and marketer who doesn't fall into marketing BS, I can only criticize Apple these days, but the large amount of stupid fanboys makes it useless to do so.

However, and even if the iPad 3 was an iPad 2S, I can't criticized the iPad because this is a jewel of tech and this is the product that competitors are way too far to match. The Galaxy Tab is utter crap compared to the iPad and no other tablet is even close.

In comparision, the Galaxy S2 or the Lumia 900 are perfectly good competitors to the iPhone.

24. macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

Everyone seemed to be making a huge deal about how the Kindle was going to finally stall the iPad. Looking at the numbers, Walmart alone sold more iPads than Amazon sold Kindles. I just think this race is getting really interesting. It really seems like Android is going to have a really hard time catching up.

25. macrumors 6502

Bought my son a Kindle Fire for Christmas, after much pestering. It now sits in the corner gathering dust while I have to surgically remove him from his iPhone just to eat dinner.