Apple's Site

Discussion in 'Community' started by jlewis2k1, Sep 1, 2005.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

ok i dont know if there has been a thread on this or not. But, honestly I think Apple should consider in updating the looks of their site. I mean it has been the same for about oh I would say 8 or so years. Correct me if Im wrong but, I think they should update their site according to new OS releases.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Well they do slightly change the OS X page when a new OS X comes out, in particular with the main navigation bar that changes colors and what not.

But how would they change it? I mean the current layout seems to be effective. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

3. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

eh i just see apple as being more unique and doing things VERY different, you know? So, I would think they would come up with a very unique design. who knows they would already be working on one. they could even have plans on updating it till OS 11 is released -_-

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It's possible. Was the site different pre-OS X, like with OS 9? I'm not sure as I wasn't into Apple then.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Somewhere here, there is a thread or a website link that has a series of historical pictures of what Apple's website has looked like. It actually has changed substantially over the last eight years, although only in more minor ways perhaps, in the post OS X era. It has been updated for style in a number of places since Tiger came out.

But it's just a website. It's clean, elegant, emphasizes Apple's current design zeitgeist, and most importantly informative. I personally don't want the web to revert back to the race-for-the-best-flaming-logo that it was five years ago, where websites are overhauled in ways that don't enhance the user experience, just because of the pressure to keep changing the look and feel.... :(

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I agree that simple is better, and the current site is nice and clean. It gets the job done pretty well I think.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I think they are transitioning gradually to the black/silver theme.

8. alangyssler macrumors member

alangyssler

the wayback machine

if you want to see what apple's homepage has looked like throughout the years, go to web.archive.org, and search "apple." it will return several dates that are archived all the way back to 1996. some of the really early stuff looks so.... yucky (read "microsoft").

as a side note, this organization is a pretty interesting read. its totally not making any money as far as i know, but still in operation. a worthy cause, i suppose.

Edit: for added kicks, check out macrumors' homepage progression through the years.

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

WOW! Thats insane! The site back in 2000 looks like a dead ringer for /. :eek:

10. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I agree and they seem to be licking the color green. It would be cool if they did some (not many) flash things to there site like the in switch section.

11. jaykk macrumors 6502a

12. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

You can also check out older Apple homepages with the WayBackMachine. Some of the pics don't work on all of them though.

Also, does anyone remember when Mission:Impossible came out back in '96 or '97 the webgame that was on apple.com? That thing was awesome!

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think Apple's current website is yucky, and the layout is icky and bleh.

And music should be played whenever anybody enters the site......something techno. Techno is going to be the new rock'n'roll, and Apple should definitely try to be cool. And please, please Apple, add some animated GIFs. Your site is such a drag.

14. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

um no music ... basically music = hell. But, it would be interesting to see if they do a Flash Based website.

15. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I do like Apple's site as it is just like their OS - user friendly. However I would like to see a flash based site as well, just to add a bit more creativity, and this way they can make it even more unique.

::20ROGERSC::

16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm pretty sure he was kidding. ;)

17. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

*turn your sarcasm sensor on**

;) :p

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh goodness. :p

Yeah, I was joking. I thought the crack about animated GIFs was the one that would give my intentions away.

19. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

It did for me!

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, and Apple should use Frames...maybe about fifteen of them? :D

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It's like that in my Cube's manual, but I think X Beta was out then, so that could be why. I dunno