Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
15 pin would of sounded cooler on stage!! "we have a new dock connector which uses half the pins as our old one, and with twice the speed".

I think this is pretty much confirmed as there seems to be several leaks already. Also the headphone jack on bottom is cool but the speaker grill and microphone grill seem to not be of same length which irks my OCD!!

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Uhm..., why not a Micro USB?

So I can charge my camera, another phone if I need to, or anything else that uses the ubiquitous Micro USB, all with ONE cable?

I thought the EU was going to beat it out of Apple, but instead they just offered a USB adapter.

Because a 30 or 19 pin dock connector will be able to do so much more than a Micro USB.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I welcome a brand new connector.

But please get rid of the whole concept of "pins". They suck!!!

How about a magsafe connector that simply connects just like the magsafe on the laptops but also does data as well as power? I never want to have to squeeze another set of pins on an iOS device ever again! It's lame. Let the magnets line up and connect the device. It's so slick for laptops, I don't see why you couldn't use it for the iPhone/iPad. :)

KPJLK

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Thousands of accessories become useless in 3...2...1...

And what's with the headphone jack being on the bottom? Why make such a silly change?

Moving the 3.5mm socket to the bottom, adjacent to what might turn out to be a micro-USB3 socket, allows it to become part of the new docking arrangement, providing audio/video output and physical support.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Moving the 3.5mm socket to the bottom, adjacent to what might turn out to be a micro-USB3 socket, allows it to become part of the new docking arrangement, providing audio/video output and physical support.
Don't you already have audio/video output through the dock connector? The idea of the 3.5mm is mainly for headphones. If it's on the bottom, it's blocked if it's in some sort of dock like device.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Just don't make the back out of glass! Why have both sides shattered when just the front will do ;)
Please make the back out of glass. Why have the back all scratched up (with no glass) when with glass it can be scratch free.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I welcome a brand new connector.

But please get rid of the whole concept of "pins". They suck!!!

How about a magsafe connector that simply connects just like the magsafe on the laptops but also does data as well as power? I never want to have to squeeze another set of pins on an iOS device ever again! It's lame. Let the magnets line up and connect the device. It's so slick for laptops, I don't see why you couldn't use it for the iPhone/iPad. :)

Sounds expensive

Prother

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Maybe a risk by the case maker in regards to the device size, but no bold statement in saying the dock connector is changing.

Look at the bottom of his case, the large opening is inviting of either a smaller dock connector or the same old one.

Therefore, regardless of if the connector changes, doesn't look like he'll have to be refunding anyone.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I must be the only one that likes the glass back. The thing is glass doesn't scratch the way metals do, but is far more appealing to the touch than plastic. The whole glass shattering thing doesn't make a difference to me because I never want my phone to drop anyways. Reducing the chance that you'll damage something to a coin toss doesn't make dropping it any less disastrous in my eyes.

I enjoy the glass back of the iPhone 4/S as well. Like you said, it's scratch resistant and pleasing to the touch. I think people just accept that displays have a sensitive side and a "tougher" side. TVs, monitors, laptops - people know that if the front gets smashed, they're in trouble. But constructing both sides out of smash-able material brought the sensitivity to a whole other level. A more durable back material would be a welcome change IMO. 50-50 is certainly better than near-certain.

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Maybe a risk by the case maker in regards to the device size, but no bold statement in saying the dock connector is changing.

Look at the bottom of his case, the large opening is inviting of either a smaller dock connector or the same old one.

Therefore, regardless of if the connector changes, doesn't look like he'll have to be refunding anyone.

I think he chose to do that because there was no space to make separators like you see on current iPhone cases. Headphone jack, 2 speaker grills, dock connector all crammed into one area of the phone now. Not a lot of room for plastic dividers.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Apple is a premium brand. They already make hardware with magsafe connectors. Shouldn't take much to adapt it to an iOS device. Can't imagine it would cost that much. Sure would work better than "pins".

Yea but everything with a MagSafe weighs at least 1.08 kg (11-inch MBA). For a MagSafe to work on an iPhone (140 g), the magnet would have to be super weak. As awesome as an iOS device MagSafe would be, dunno if that would work.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
This is the absolute lamest piece of "news" I have ever seen on this site. I can't imagine a single person who would care in the slightest about this.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
If the back is all Aluminum, and the front is Gorilla Glass 2; why do I need a case?

I don't think Gorilla Glass 2 is that much stronger. I think it's like 20% stronger or so?

IMO, they should just drop all their prototypes from 4 feet up, face down, on concrete. If it shatters, increase the thickness of the glass. I'm not saying it has to be indestructible (people need to take care of their gadgets), but a simple drop from a few feet up shouldn't destroy the entire front...

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004

That would be a step backward. Also, the micro-USB3 connector is probably the worst connector I've ever seen. Given how recently its been introduced, I've never seen more broken ports/connectors ever.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I didn't like the design at first, but now I am starting to like it. Change of the dock connector is inevitable, the problem is that it will take some time for accessory makers introduce selection of accessories as wide as for the current 30-pin connector. I hope, it will be worth it (thunderbolt / USB3 support) at the end of the day...

Now, what bugs me is the headphone jack - why not on the top?

SlowCarBoost

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
I still don't believe that these leaks are legit...not one bit. This is not enough of a design change. It still looks like the 4/4S. If iOS 6 is not a major leap(which it's not), then the phone has to be fresh. These leaks are lazy and I have more confidence in Apple than to believe that these leaks are real. I like the design of the 4 but it's time for a redesign. Apple has Samsung breathing down their neck now and they know it. Jony Ive has something better than this up his sleeve.

KPJLK

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Don't you already have audio/video output through the dock connector? The idea of the 3.5mm is mainly for headphones. If it's on the bottom, it's blocked if it's in some sort of dock like device.

IF the new dock changes to micro-USB, the 3.5mm socket could contribute the direct audio/video ouput that USB can't. When docking, the bottom of the iPhone would mate with both a USB plug and 3.5mm plug (which would also keep it upright). Older iPods used to output composite video through the headphone socket, so it might seem like a strange step backwards, but also possible and practical. I'm speculating, but not entirely irrationally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.