Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
A watch is soo... boring.

Unless it comes with laser beams to kill the enemies or with a wire and a hook like Batman or Spiderman.

"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"

Attachments

• sharks_w_laser_beams.jpg
    sharks_w_laser_beams.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 106

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
WWDC is going to be make or break for Apple. If there's a new product coming out this year, developers will need time to write software for it. If all they are going to introduce is iOS7, OS X 10.9 and spec bumped hardware, their stock is going to plummet and I will have lost confidence that I should continue to be a 12 year, dedicated Apple fan.

As it is, the new XBOX has laid waste to Steve Jobs comment that he has "cracked" the living room.

Its 2013, so in your 12 years, you have seen the following major product releases (i.e. major new categories):

2001 - ipod
2007 - Apple TV (questionable whether its a major new category)
2007 - iphone
2010 - ipad

If you stretch it you could beef up this list by putting peripheral devices like time capsule in, or counting the macbook air as a new product category.

Why would you quit being a customer now in a 3 year dry spell between major product releases, but not in the early 2000s in a 6 year dry spell?

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
"Apple may not have adequate resources to develop an iWatch "

LMFAO!!! Apple has adequate resources to develop a colony on MARS if it wanted to... :rolleyes: What a crock.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The Mac Pro hasn't seen a TRUE update in years. Yes it's "delayed." :rolleyes:
Updates aren't promised to you. The only update to the Mac Pro promised, is the one planned for this year sometime.

Don't make excuses.
I'm not. I'm being realistic with technological expectations. Apple can't just magically release a flying car.

Two completely different products with different price points.
He specifically mentioned spec-bumped Macs. Could you please explain how the Macbook Pro is not a Mac?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Huh... Pebble can design its operating systems from scratch, source components, build and ship a product now but Apple can't do the same thing until late 2014 - 18 months from now?

That's fast for Apple. Palm and Handspring developed and shipped the first popular tablets and smartphones pretty quickly. It took Apple a whole 11 years to wipe PalmPilots and Treos off the map.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
So pathetic Apple can't do anything. No mac pros: delayed indefinitely. Their damn radio thing can't even launch. And now the stupid iwatch isn't coming. And what about iwork, ilife, aperture, logic pro? What has Tim Cook been doing?

What's next, a mini ipad with a retina display that should have been included in the original? A few spec bumped macs? The same iphone with an S in front it? IOS7 will probably play it safe and OSX will be the same thing but bloated even more. What happened to innovation?

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the massive number of lawsuits. Apple is breaking new ground there everyday.

:)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I hope they come to their senses before ever releasing this product.

The world needs less watches not more and this recent smart watch frenzy has been silly. I suspect apple will ultimately realize this.

----------

Pretty sad that sites like MR are so obsessed with clicks they'll throw anything on the front page these days. I mean there's no news or rumor here. It's just speculation from a Wall Street analyst. Which doesn't even seem to be based on any rumors. Just all guessing.

Perhaps you need to acquaint yourself with the definition of the word rumor.

Also the MR editorial staff does take into account past history when looking at information to share.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I think it's more of technology ADHD... where enthusiasts who get tech news by the day or even hours, now expect companies to come out with new products each month... even though they know (but for some reason forget) that it takes years to plan and release a new product or even product refreshes.

Theres not enough upvote buttons to express how much I agree with your statement.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
So pathetic Apple can't do anything. No mac pros: delayed indefinitely. Their damn radio thing can't even launch. And now the stupid iwatch isn't coming. And what about iwork, ilife, aperture, logic pro? What has Tim Cook been doing?

What's next, a mini ipad with a retina display that should have been included in the original? A few spec bumped macs? The same iphone with an S in front it? IOS7 will probably play it safe and OSX will be the same thing but bloated even more. What happened to innovation?

If there was a down vote button, I would register 5000 accounts just to down vote you.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Sadly it seems there is a growing number of Apple users who have [regrettably] come to similar conclusions. I've been using Apple systems since the 90's, and I'm sure others much longer. Most of us are power system users, having to contend with a now consumer market driven company. Yes, it's made them a powerhouse, which we are very grateful. However, it's come at a cost to us who rely on pro-systems for work, et al.

I'm disappointed Apple went from a company with a stellar line of CCFL LCD's, affordable and well equipped power systems, all for roughly the cost of a reasonably equipped Mac Pro (which is in dire need of hardware upgrades, mine is "current gen" but dates to Oct 2010). Consumer market saturation levels are plateauing and Apple has faced difficulties breaking into the Chinese market.

Neglecting the pro and business markets, which many deemed too "niche", is slowly biting Apple in the rear. Many colleagues jumped ship after the Final Cut Pro X fiasco for Windows or Linux systems, using Avid or even Adobe CS as they stepped up their game. If Apple is smart, they'd take advantage of Adobe's shift towards a pay-as-you-use system by focusing energy back into what made OS X and hardware so great: quality, stability, cutting edge or at least current hardware, and a full range of displays. Businesses from design to editing firms have ten's if not hundreds of thousands of dollars set aside for hardware and license upgrades. That adds up to a good amount of profit, enough to drive the market.

There are only so many iPads and iPhones a consumer can entertain themselves with before it gets dull. I've yet to see the corporate sect adopt iPads/tablets as a primary or even quasi-centric device of choice. Generally it's in addition to desktop systems. A quick glance in the top ten paid and free iPhone or iPad apps and you'll see mostly games and media apps. I couldn't imagine working mainly on an iPad, dissertations or casual work on a small screen taken up by the keys, no thanks.

Stop shifting an already stressed engineering dept bet iOS and OS X as Steve Jobs insisted, usually resulting in OS X being shelved. Hire more engineers, get a hold of the departments lacking S.V.P.'s by hiring or moving the right people into those positions. It's mind boggling that Cook is taking over for Browett, who lasted only a few months, as S.V.P. of Retail Operations, and Ive taking over design after Forstall's firing the same exact day as Browett's last Nov. Bertrand Serlet was excellent as S.V.P. of OS X Software Engineering. Since his departure, Craig Federighi's work in Lion and Mountain Lion has been less than stellar (Serlet did not work on 10.7 as some have stated, he was brought in from NeXT and responsible for 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6).

It seems to many that Apple has been treading water recently, and faith in the company's future seems shaky as stock analysts and future traders to die-hard Apple users generally feel underwhelmed. I hesitate writing this as I'm certain it will be shredded by some, but it's how I feel and how many I know feel at this moment. Whether genuinely warranted or not, it's been harder to maintain faith in Apple for some. I'm hopeful that 2013 is a return to pro and business markets, with a new Mac Pro, displays and pro-App updates. If not, I don't know what will happen for us. :eek:

(go easy on me guys, simply my 2 cents)

Could not agree more.
Very detailed and correct assessment.

Free fall

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Good. Now I'll have more time to save some money to buy it. Any estimates on how much this thing is going to cost? 599? 699? 899? For the 32 gig model?

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
I can't imagine a "smartwatch" being anything more than an accessory to your phone. Unless of course it's a smartphone substitute.

It's nice to get messages, updates, sports scores, golf distances, run tracking, etc, etc, but that's all just convenience, not a groundbreaking necessity...

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
I'm not sure most people realize the life-changing potential of a wearable product. I doubt this will be the nano-with-a-band that many are expecting, but rather an entirely new kind of device that alters the way we interact with *all* of our tech.

I've re-read the above multiple times and can't figure out if it's sarcasm or not.

Dear gawd I hope so - and for many reasons.

The life-changing potential?

Remember back in the days before mobile phones? How did mankind survive?

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I still think this whole iWatch thing is a stupid idea... I have no idea why anybody would need such a thing if they already have a wrist watch.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
seems apple are gonna skip this year entirely. Tim said they had the product line up for 2013 completely stacked up...but so far nothing, and no interesting rumors for 5 months, it's rather strange.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World

Too busy 'Cook-ing' the books.

...sorry, could not resist.

Attachments

• cooked_books.jpg
    cooked_books.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 80

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
biometrics? just remember how much "public anger" was there when people had to give their fingerprints for the new biometric passports or at US airports and the queston about safety of that database. And those analysts think that people will just let some company like apple/google/whatever have their biometric data? haha.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011

What's next, a mini ipad with a retina display that should have been included in the original? A few spec bumped macs? The same iphone with an S in front it? IOS7 will probably play it safe and OSX will be the same thing but bloated even more.ProbleWhat happened to innovation?

I agree.Problem is, regardless of what Apple churn out, people buy it in their millions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.