Apple's Split with Google Over iOS Maps Driven by Turn-by-Turn Navigation Dispute

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Reports about the high-profile split between Apple and Google that saw Apple replace its Google-powered Maps app for iOS with its own solution have continued to trickle out, with AllThingsD now reporting that the lack of turn-by-turn directions on Google's Maps app for iOS was the key motivator for Apple.
    Apple reportedly pushed hard for voice navigation in Google's maps on iOS, but Google was unwilling to hand over the functionality without concessions from Apple. As detailed by other sources, Google was seeking greater control over the mapping experience on the iPhone, such as Google branding and Google Latitude integration, concessions Apple was unwilling to make.

Combined with the deterioration of the overall Apple-Google relationship and Apple's concerns that Google was collecting too much information from iOS users, Apple ramped up its mapping efforts in order to bring its own turn-by-turn directions to the device, ultimately deciding that it could afford to do away entirely with Google's maps.

Article Link: Apple's Split with Google Over iOS Maps Driven by Turn-by-Turn Navigation Dispute
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2010
    Well that makes me feel a little bit better about the crappy map data. I'd rather have turn-by-turn.
  3. macrumors 68030

Apr 15, 2010
    Sometimes, it really does just boil down to boys fighting over epeen sizes.
  4. macrumors 68020

Jun 27, 2009
    Miami, FL
    I'd always figured the lack of turn by turn was about control.
  5. macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2007
    They had all of these disputes yet google was still surprised guys.
  6. macrumors member

Apr 5, 2010
    A bit ironic that the dispute was driven by turn by turn directions...
  7. macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2004
    Best explanation yet

This is the best explanation yet for how Apple got in to this mess. It seems like a good reason for Apple to break ties with Google, and I have faith that very soon... weeks or months, Apple's map app will be very good, even superior to what Google offers. Thanks for the article
  8. macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2011
    I love the new turn-by-turn. But Apple does need to step it up. I'm surprised that they'd release it as is given they had a year left with Google to work on it.
  9. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    I think John Gruber laid it out best by showing this as '3 options Apple faced'. When you look at it that way it makes more sense. (Even if you still don't like it.)

It was like a band-aid that Apple needed to pull off. They decided to do it quickly. Very painful, but probably better than dragging it out longer.
  10. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2011
    "Don't be evil"
  11. macrumors 68020

Jun 11, 2007
    It's no secret Google has been holding back on iOS Maps. While this all sucks it seemed it was inevitable. Neither party wants to give more access to the other.
  12. macrumors regular

May 16, 2007
    Still think they could have done both. They didnt need to kick google out before they launched Apple maps.
  13. macrumors regular

May 11, 2009
    considered response

It might have been a more considered response upon Apple's part to introduce the new Maps with iOS 6, without canning the existing Google-based version.

That way they'd have had a year (the year remaining on their contract) to get the new version up-to-speed.

Instead they're dealing with a first-rate cluster****.

This is a rare, self-inflicted fiasco.
  14. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2009
    Competition is good and this is only the beginning.
  15. macrumors 6502

Mar 12, 2009
    YEY now i have turn by turn directions that tell me to merge on a freeway that is no where in sight! But i still have hope one day it will get better...first mms, then copy/paste, now maps...i wonder whats next? Search engine?
  16. macrumors 68040

Jul 9, 2008
    Okie land
    The question is when do they dump Google as the default search engine for iOS.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Mar 23, 2007
  18. NAG
    macrumors 68030

Aug 6, 2003
    Not the first time he stated that either (although this is the best he has explained it).
  19. macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2012
    Port St Lucie FL
    Improvements require user feedback. If google maps stayed the folks would never opt to use apple maps. It was a necessary evil.
  20. macrumors 601

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Maybe iOS 6.5 can reverse this Map direction and go back to a new and improved Google Maps.

Keep the Apple Maps as a free Joke App.
  21. macrumors 68040

May 31, 2007
    Florida, USA
    So basically both sides were stubborn bastards.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. The price of progress I guess...
  22. macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Good. Who the hell wants Google's stupid branding all over things when the product is paid for already?
  23. macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2008
    Essex (UK)
    Google will be better off with a tird party app in the app store for people that don't mind using Google services. It wouldn't have been right giving Google even more control over core features of the OS which not all users would have wanted IMO.

That way, I get to use a Google maps app that syncs with my Android devices and Google Maps web searches and other users that are averse to Google's business geting get to steer clear of Google with Apple's solution.

Win/Win IMO. Things will get better.
  24. macrumors member

May 11, 2008
    This isn't a religion. There are real people working to deliver you the best product they can on both sides.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2003
    I don't want my phone slowly turning into an Android. Thank god that Apple pulled away to do things their way. Apple map looks a lot sexier and cleaner than google maps. Give it time and I am sure it will be a lot better. Turn by turn navigation works really well for me and the way apple implemented into iOS is drop dead gorgeous. Doesn't feel cheap and bloated like other other phones.