Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Apple did the right thing dumping Google Maps. Apple Maps may not be better yet, but it will be, and Google Maps will continue to suck.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It's no secret Google has been holding back on iOS Maps. While this all sucks it seemed it was inevitable. Neither party wants to give more access to the other.
Safari for iOS sucks too but that didn't stop Apple from blocking Google.

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
GIVE US BOTH.

Jesus. Why is it so hard? Let us have access to both apps. Done. Problem solved.

Apple has too much pride sometimes.

Apple did not want to divert resources from its own map application so they stopped development on the legacy maps application from iOS 5, which they controlled except for the backend mapping data.

They have not stated other companies cannot submit their own mapping solutions, so now the onus for Google Maps on iOS is on Google, not Apple.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Well done Apple. :rolleyes:

Better to have turn-by-turn navigation with not fit for purpose maps apparently than good maps that you have to read yourself.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
I wonder if Google intentionally gave Android (Samsung/HTC/etc.) a competitive advantage with turn by turn it had no intention of releasing to Apple. It is probably one of the few features that are must have or defining app type things.

It may be this is Google's beach head for differentiation, Apple recognized that, and took this opportunity to start down the path of its own Maps app before these tech devices are widely deployed in cars and other non-traditional locations.

This is corporate war stuff making a slight disclosure to the public.

It doesn't take genius to see that this is exactly the case. It's what Microsoft continues to do to this very day with the Office for Mac suite. Leave out just enough features to make it substandard to the Windows version.

dino12

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
Metropolis, IL
It's not that bad

Come on people, the maps are not that bad. Everyone that complains about must constantly look at the maps app, is this the only app that you use? How often do you use the maps anyway? It get me prom point A to point B pretty well. Of course I've only used the turn by turn a few times. Chill out, it will get better.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
One thing they might have done is leave the Google app as the default in iOS6, but ALSO include their own separate app available as a download (they could even call it a "beta" if they wanted). Then they'd have quite a few people voluntarily using it while they collected data and worked out kinks, and would be in a much better position to fully replace the Google app for iOS7.

david510c

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
You must be kidding. The goal was to make the device thinner. Could you imagine the size of a device with a Lightning and Dock Connector?

As it stands, the 30 pin adaptor is still thinner than the current iPhone 5. Plus, it offers the structural rigidity to withstand the phone's weight on a dock.

I understand some people can argue that dock stands is "a thing of the past". But, Apple did not offer a competitive replacement option otherwise enjoyed by many.
My self, for example, like to dock my phone in a charging holder while I drive. I'm not moving over to the iPhone 5 till I see a viable alternative solution.

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
Just curious... Are you surprised they released it in its current state because it's so bad in your area or are you basing that on all the negative press?

For me it's bad - not one POI are placed the right place, you need to punch in the exact address if you are searching for something (no point in having a search option of you already know), editions or updates haven't been made yet - i have been submitting multiple editions since launch. 4 year old businesses are suddenly on the map again, they have the wrong building shapes that will make you think you can go between buildings to get somewhere. The satellite images looks like pixelated garbage and there's no 3D. Couldn't test turn-by-turn as my moms house have been wiped of the map... aparently.

Had a meeting the other day - 3 people tried to use Apple maps to navigate to the office, none successful (in the middle of New York City).

Bangpow

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2005
Dearborn, MI
Well, that's a big loss for Apple.

One day they will realize that they simply can't bully people into doing what they want and that they can't do it all by themselves.

But hey, who needs accurate maps?

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I'm really quite surprised with apple maps. After the hate, I expected it to suck. While the satellite imagery is mediocre and the maps are a tiny bit dated, the turn by turn is by far the best I've ever used. I'm a college student and I live in the same town so I really don't need navigation, but after getting a car dock for my phone I decided to give it a shot and ask it to drive me home. It worked extremely well and the music dimming down when it spoke was great! The fact that you can ask it for restaurants on your route is really nice! Maybe my standards are low since I rarely have use for the service, but putting it in standard view and using it to get places, it works great! I'd take it over google maps any day simply for the Siri integrated voice navigation. Looking at the map to follow directions was confusing and dangerous. Sorry for the life story I just felt the need to state my satisfaction with what maps does well!

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
I guess we all failed to remember that when google maps first came out , it was garbage. Cut apple some slack , sure the new maps isn't great , incomparable to google maps , but i'm sure it'll get there.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
Apple could've kept both Google maps and added its own as an option. Just like how you can choose your own default search provider.

Same goes with the Lightening adaptor. They could've kept both and slowly phase out the 30 pins. Instead of screwing over every 30 pin accessory owner and Kickstart developers. Kind of like how MBP have both USB and firewire. Remember how awful it was to only have USB on MBP? Those MBP have the worst resale value of all MBP.

If they had chosen to follow the path you suggest (Both Apple and Google maps available) then many users would simply choose to use Google maps. In the short term this seems like a better solution because 'Map Gate' would have been avoided. Unfortunately, Apple needs its customer base to actually use its maps app if they ever want to catch up to the functionality of Google maps. By cutting off Google maps, Apple ensures that they receive the data they need to make a 1st rate maps app.

There is absolutely no way that Apple would release both 30-pin and lightning versions of the iPhone 5: Apple does not want fragmentation in their product lines. Building both a 30-pin and a lightning version of the iPhone would have resulted in two very different devices. The reduced thickness of the iPhone 5 would not be possible using the 30-pin adapter. It is irritating in the short term to have to purchase adapters or new accessories, but the change had to happen sometime. Personally I really like the new lightning cord because it is reversible... plus I haven't bought any expensive accesories for my iPhone yet. ;) :D

Last edited:

Tibu

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
I stopped counting how many times I read a post with the words "faith" and "Apple" and my immediate facepalm afterwards. One of those: so sad it's funny deals.

Unbelievable...

Anyway, AFAIC if Google releases a stand alone app for their maps with or without integrated turn by turn, even if they charge for it; I'm getting that app as soon as it's released. Apple maps is basically useless in Puerto Rico. Utterly incomplete.

richardsonrs

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
So far, I have had 0 issues with apples Maps. I am an AT&T Service Tech in Birmingham, AL. I use maps daily 3-5 times to find my service locations. Turn by turn is icing if you ask me. Guess AL is lucky?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
In other words Apple wants everything but is not willing to give anything in return. They thought they could go thermonuclear on Android and still have the goodness that Google Navigation is for nothing in return?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The same folks who are willing to pay an arm and a leg just because the Apple logo is on it. :apple:

Apple: "Oh let's make the iPhone 5 longer and do a few other things to it that's already been done and we'll make billions!" :rolleyes:

It's quite well known why they delayed LTE for a year. They were late to the party with 3G for the same reason. They waited until more advanced chipsets came out that didn't use up as much battery.

Consider the one product where they didn't wait (3rd Generation iPad) is criticized for being heavier than the previous generation, as well as newer devices such as the Kindle Fire 8.9 and 9" Nook HD.

Had Apple included LTE in the 4S, either the battery life would have been really bad, or it would have had to have been bigger and heavier than it was (or both). Apple was not about to give the iPhone the "RAZR MAXX" treatment.

As to the original topic, it was obvious that Google wasn't about to give them turn-by-turn navigation. So they went their own way.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
I think John Gruber laid it out best by showing this as '3 options Apple faced'. When you look at it that way it makes more sense. (Even if you still don't like it.)

Particularly apt from that article is this nugget:

"It implies that Google’s executives are either stupid, lying, or blindingly arrogant. I’ve never heard anyone suggest that Google executives are stupid."

Stupid? No. Blindingly Arrogant? Absolutely.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Safari for iOS sucks too but that didn't stop Apple from blocking Google.

In what way does Safari "suck"? I find it to be quite a nice experience. It's fast, simple, and it looks great. I'm not saying it's perfect but it works well (and I like Chrome too). Safari set the high bar for what mobile browsers are today, not to mention the WebKit engine that powers it, as well as just about every other mobile browser, including Chrome.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The way Apple did it was a shock and that will motivate the early adopter and fanboi set to work FAST to make it better with feedback. I wish I had the ability to downgrade OS in an Apple-ly way, if I need the prior functionality as a central feature of my phone usage.

Rocketman

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
And yet the embedded search engine in Safari is still Google - I'd imagine Google get far more information out of use of their search engine than they ever did out of iOS Maps.

Just pray that someone at Apple doesn't realise this and dump Google's search engine, replacing it with the all new Apple iSearch - I hate to think what the results would be like based on the quality of information in iOS6 Maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.