Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's stock opened at $146.85 today and continues to trend downwards, with shares currently trading below the $143 mark in today's session. Apple's stock price has declined approximately 20% since closing at $178.44 on April 4.

Apple-Logo-Cash-Orange.jpg

The stock market has experienced broader losses since the start of April, with the S&P 500 down around 13% and the Dow Jones down around 8.5% over that period. Many other tech companies are in a similar boat, with Google parent company Alphabet's and Microsoft's stocks also down around 20% since early April as two larger examples.

Apple has been financially successful during the COVID-19 pandemic, with the company recently setting a new March quarter revenue record of $97.3 billion. However, on an earnings call last month, Apple said supply constraints caused by COVID-related disruptions and industrywide silicon shortages were impacting the company's ability to meet customer demand, resulting in lengthy shipping estimates for devices like the MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Apple's Stock Down 20% Since Early April Amid Broader Market Losses

Last edited:

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Eventually people around the world are going to stop buying iPhones, as their current iPhones would be plenty good enough. That's when the stock REALLY is going to crash. Especially with Target and Wal Mart showing low-end consumer retail under pressure.

Apple needs to expand into more hardware product categories. I dunno, dedicated cameras, printers, HomeKit appliances, etc..? Or make their own Amazon or social network? Lots of potential revenue options that Apple has... but I'm not sure if they've already started on these projects already, as it takes years to develop and the stock market wants to see results in months.

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Okay, but Dow Jones is still 3,000 points or 10% higher than where we were prior to COVID hitting in early 2020. It goes without saying that the fact the stock market is not lower than where it was prior to an international pandemic and global slowdown just over 2 years later is pretty amazing. Apple like any company isn't immune to these facts, and the market is still going up over time.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Apple is one of the best run companies in the world. However, even the best companies are not immune to economic forces, and the recent surge in inflation is taking a large bite out of discretionary spending. Apple's upscale market makes it less sensitive to these factors than most but Apple can't escape it entirely, thus the stock falling in tandem with the overall market based on expectations of reduced consumer spending.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Eventually people around the world are going to stop buying iPhones, as their current iPhones would be plenty good enough. That's when the stock REALLY is going to crash.

Apple needs to expand into more hardware product categories. I dunno, dedicated cameras, printers, HomeKit appliances, etc..? Or make their own Amazon or social network? Lots of potential revenue options that Apple has...
I hope you're aware that Apple is much more than just the iPhone. Also, they're constantly pushing into services more and more every year.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Eventually people around the world are going to stop buying iPhones, as their current iPhones would be plenty good enough. That's when the stock REALLY is going to crash. Especially with Target and Wal Mart showing low-end consumer retail under pressure.

Apple needs to expand into more hardware product categories. I dunno, dedicated cameras, printers, HomeKit appliances, etc..? Or make their own Amazon or social network? Lots of potential revenue options that Apple has... but I'm not sure if they've already started on these projects already, as it takes years to develop and the stock market wants to see results in months.
Apple Car.

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Apple is not in any serious trouble, as a perceived luxury brand they will always have that clout and people with money will keep buying their devices.

That said, with the weight of massive inflation causing those without tons of money to make different purchasing decisions and pare down spending in general, and with the supply chain constraints sometimes forcing people to buy something else, they're in for some rough days ahead.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Reactions: Cycom

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Apple is perfectly fine as a company.

As a loooooong investor, I really hope weak wrists will be shaken further. In a nutshell, their loss is my future gain.

Edit: as an interesting fact, EU investors are only down around 10% due to dollar appreciation vs. Euro.

Last edited:

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I hope you're aware that Apple is much more than just the iPhone. Also, they're constantly pushing into services more and more every year.
Their revenue is NOT much more than the iPhone.

iPhone alone is the vast majority (more than 50%) of Apple's revenue.

Apple = iPhone. Let's make sure people understand that.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021

Apple needs to expand into more hardware product categories. I dunno, dedicated cameras, printers, HomeKit appliances, etc..? Or make their own Amazon or social network? Lots of potential revenue options that Apple has...
Apple is pretty spectacular at marketing and making people want things. Looking at their anti consumer practices with computers and other devices and people still buy them in droves. Somehow they made record amounts during covid when people were supposedly tightening their belts with lack of work or reduced hours.

Didn't Apple try some sort of social network within iTunes music a while ago? Or am I remembering that wrong. Not sure why Apple would make their own Amazon, not even sure what that means. That would be completely off brand for them to just be a big marketplace that you can buy anything from cheap junk to expensive. Apple already sells products on their site from other manufacturers so that is probably as close as they will get to being Amazon.

Apple does not make appliances, they make the HomeKit software and try to entice companies to support it. Personally I would probably avoid HomeKit, so few people have the Apple smart speakers and the smart speakers themselves are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to a virtual assistant, would rather invest in the Echo devices or Google.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
if people don't get their new Macs they ordered in a few months or they cancel their orders because of the long wait the stock will go even lower.

If the M2 gets delayed...... DISASTER!!

And a Ho Hum boring iPhone 14 coming:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Maybe apple can deliver a product that lets me see the world differently. Something I strap to my face and is powered by my phone.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Apple Car.
if they purely focus on a high quality car, and completely drop the silly and unfeasible "self-driving" aspect, then it could be a potential success.

They absolutely cannot make a "self-driving" car, as that is an impossible, unsolvable problem.

We will not see self-driving cars in our lifetimes. Dumb people like Elon Musk don't know that yet.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
if they purely focus on a high quality car, and completely drop the silly and unfeasible "self-driving" aspect, then it could be a potential success.

They absolutely cannot make a "self-driving" car, as that is an impossible, unsolvable problem.

We will not see self-driving cars in our lifetimes.
I put the chances of that as zero. To enter a crowded market, you have to bring something disruptive. Apple has no visionary so I am definitely on the other side of that bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.