Apple's Stock is Free-falling (7/02)

Discussion in 'Community' started by invaLPsion, Jul 2, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

What did you expect? No new iMacs, and now they aren't even selling them until September??!!!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's temporary, but it's also happening with low volume so it's not as if every investor is dumping the stock. It's down a little over 5 percent right now and had moved already up over 6 percent the other day. That's not exactly terrible and it results in opportunity for many people who wanted to buy near $30 but missed it.

There was also a prior thread on this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=77960

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

I own six stocks and they're all falling - it's just a broad sell-off.

(And yes, they're diversified across industries. Excuse me while I go give Fama & French the finger.)

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

uh... 7% is hardly a free fall for apple's stock after the gains it made over the past few months...

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I agree.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

do you you think this is possibly why apple announced the imac shortage, to put comfort in investors eyes?

iJon

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

MacNN has an article about an analyst that is still listing Apple as a buy. He points out that the drop in price is only temporary as Apple will be announcing a new iMac and the problems are due to supply and not demand. Plus, the new iMac will be available for Christmas so he expects the stock to rise in the long term.

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

what do you mean? the shortage is WHY the stock is falling. man, I wish I had some cash to invest right now.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

this is the perfect time for my "SEE I NEVER TOLD YOU TO BUY APPLE STOCK THREAD" .... no i'm just joking, but i wonder where out stock expert saw this one coming ...

apple will probably keep falling for a bit but that happens when you make a mistake and admit it ...

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I was thinking the same thing!

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

The stock is only down 4% for the day now, and has gained over a dollar on it's intraday low. This is just a temporary dip, it won't stay down for long.

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Maybe I can help, but a warning: NEVER listen to people who say they have the answer. They don't, or they wouldn't be posting on this site with a 333 iMac.
    That being said, I made a TON of money on Apple over the years; enough to put my daughter through college. (Invested further in "safe" places of course, she is only 9)
    Most people on this site have watched Apple through it's long and sometimes sordid history. We saw the crash in 99 that started yet another "Apple is DYING!" media rumor blitz. But that crash allowed me to cash in pretty heavy. Why? Because we know a few things about the company that escapes some pretty smart Wall Street folk. Realize they know nothing either; in Chicago a MONKEY is doing a better job at picking stocks than the best and brightest here. (Look it up in the Sun-TImes). Okay so now we know there are no experts. Ah, but there are: You, if you've been aware of Apple for more than 10-12 years.
    When the crash happened, I bought at just over 12 bucks. I sold at 24 a year or so later because I set a target and stuck to it. When it dropped again to, I think 16, I bought another crap-load. I set a target of 25 or so and again stuck to it. Like-wise I set a stop-loss and stick to that. If you hope to "ride it out" You might lose.
    Some of the factors I used were: overall "mood" in the tech industry, SOME rumors and comparing them to what Apple has on the shelf, Their P/E, Inventory, Cash on hand, earmarked R+D money, and a few other things. All this can be investigated online easily.
    So do I think Apple is worth buying now? My target was 28, and I'm happy with it right now. My stop-loss is 25, and I sell at anything over 37. Small steps can pay off with patience. My wife bought Motorola at 36. Not me. When the crash came I got it for 8. Look at it now. (My wife and I are a team, don't you know!) We made $15,000 in one month.
    I could be wrong on all this, but then again I'm not posting from a 333, but rather a G5 2.0 with 2GB ram, twin 250 drives and the upgraded video card.

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If they go low enough over the next few weeks I might buy in but they are too high and problems with miniipods sales, imac availability and G5 top end worry me. Wait and see.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

wait to see 4th quarter earnings report...there'll likely be quite a dip.

no, I don't mean 3rd quarter, I mean 4th quarter. The next few months are going to be rough for apple and it's going to suffer from significantly worse performance than a year ago.