Apple's stock is still moving up

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Ja Di ksw, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

2. davefan6435 macrumors regular

Near the end of summer of 2004 before the Paris Expo I told my dad to buy some Apple stock, did he listen to me? No, and over the last year the stock has gone up quite a bit. I'm still kinda mad about that one.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I very nearly bought Apple stock with my savings when I was a high school student in 1997....<sigh>

I don't even want to know how much Apple's stock has gone up since then.

4. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

we grabbed some right before the video ipod came out at $51 now $74. Almost 50% profit:)

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Around 1,500%.

Sorry, you didn't want to know. :eek:

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to tell how much money I could have made on that little speculation. :mad:

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Everyone realizes its going to tank after MacWorld when people realize that there won't be g5 powerbooks and iPods won't come preloaded with 120G of music of your choice and that the sunshine that squirts out of Steve's tuckas won't run your solar powered flashlight...

That and the p:e ratio is 47...

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's the trailing PE. The forward PE is more like 33:1. That's still pretty rich, but not out of the ordinary for a rapidly growing company.

9. amholl macrumors 6502

I had the exact same situation as you.It was like 26 back then....

10. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    They are seriously expecting that much growth?

I figured forward looking at 40. 33 is actually getting close to a reasonable number, if they expect to keep up the growth.

11. cxny macrumors 6502

I lucked out for once....

I've only ever brought a few stocks, Lucent lost 70% and a few others have become worthless, however during the dot com bust in 2001 I saw an opportunity when AAPL fell 90%. I picked up 50 shares at about $20 (They then continued to tank but finally the iPod kicked in).Then the stock split last March so I now have 100 shares at over $73 each! Of course I wish I had brought more at the time but at least it covered my losses in all my other disasters. I think the lesson learned is that stock picking is very hard, but can be very rewarding. Just remember to buy low - now is not the time to buy AAPL

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Forward PE is based on analyst's average forecasts, for whatever that's worth. But for sure Apple's revenue growth over the last couple of years has been phenomenal. The problem is, the market tends to price in these predictions, so missing a revenue or profit number even by a little can cause the stock to fall like a rock. The stock is "priced for perfection" as they say.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Been tempted that now that I have a few dollars for investment, and some near term goals for travel - been thinking about buying some Apple stock. But been fearful about when the iPod Halo will burn out, and just how the market and consumers respond to the switch to Intel.

Wish I had the money back when when they were tanking.