Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Created five years ago in September of 2011, Apple's official twitter account, @Apple, has begun stirring today. The company updated the page with a new logo -- a classic black Apple image on a white background -- and the same teaser art for next week's September 7 event that was included on invites earlier this week.

apple-twitter-1-800x517.jpg

Although Apple appears to be preparing a new section of its social media presence, the account has yet to tweet anything to its more than 110,000 followers. With the timing of the reactivation, and the similar art, it seems likely that Apple will begin using the account to share news and updates from its event in the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, California.

Apple hasn't been completely averse to social media, since over the past few years the company has created Twitter accounts for iBooks, Apple Music, iTunes, and just this year began bolstering its presence on Twitter with Apple Support and Apple News. Apple was recently rumored to be working on a social media app of its own for launch in 2017, with similarities tying its video-heavy features more to Facebook and Snapchat than to Twitter.

Update: Apple's Twitter account has shared a promoted tweet reminding users about next week's event. Users can retweet the status to get an event reminder.
September 7 at 10 a.m. PTWatch the event on https://t.co/yLa2e4Xr2R.RT for a reminder on event day. #AppleEvent pic.twitter.com/e9MHNkLeoi - Apple (@Apple) September 2, 2016
(Thanks, James!)

Article Link: Apple's Five-Year-Old Twitter Account Gets Active Ahead of September 7 Event [Updated]

Reactions: grahamperrin

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'm guessing Apple is going to have a lot of negative criticism afterwards trying to get by a third year with that 6 series design that sports a huge downgrade in losing the headphone jack. There isn't enough tweets to spin that into something.
[doublepost=1472817315][/doublepost]
Apple is waiting for Twitter to become popular before they start using it. Either that or they just found their password in Steve's desk drawer.

Cook is pulling a twitter string here and there to see where it takes him.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
I've never been so excited for an Apple event. Every hour is dragging atm. I'm ready to be wowed, let's go!!!
Really!? Why? The rumours all suggest it will be one of the least exciting ever. iPhone not a significant update, apple watch not a significant update, unlikely to be macs mentioned.
Unless of course you are into lots of time being taken up talking about fantastic beats headphones using a lightning connector / wireless.

I'll be thrilled to be wrong though.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
They better get ready for the negative reactions!
Yeah they deserve it,Tim Cook is risking whole company after launching this 2 year old aged booring iPhone which is nothing innovative or revolutionary and features removed which millions of people use every day o_O

Reactions: Mactendo

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Really!? Why? The rumours all suggest it will be one of the least exciting ever. iPhone not a significant update, apple watch not a significant update, unlikely to be macs mentioned.
Unless of course you are into lots of time being taken up talking about fantastic beats headphones using a lightning connector / wireless.

I'll be thrilled to be wrong though.

Don't get dragged down by the doom and gloomers. I am certain Apple will have a lot of incredible announcements. I'm also convinced there will be a lot more to the iPhone 7 upgrade than people are expecting.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I had totally forgotten they had an account too. I'll re-follow it and see what, if anything of interest they post to it.

I have interacted with their AppleSupport account and found it to be not very helpful.

Reactions: grahamperrin

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
*Apple posts a video of a Note 7 exploding then closes the account*

Maybe not quite as dramatic but Apple could also post photos of the iPhone 5/5s bloated batteries and deformed cases ... you know, just for comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandstorm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.