Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162013-mac_lineup_jan_2011_500.jpg

AppleInsider reports on a new research note from Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster relating data from NPD regarding January sales of Apple's Mac computers. According to the report, Apple's Mac sales were up 20% year-over-year in the month, performance Munster believes puts Apple on track to at least meet analyst expectations of 3.6 million Mac sales during the current quarter.
Currently, investors expect to see about 22 percent year over year growth in the March quarter, resulting in 3.6 million units. Though U.S. sales were up less -- 20 percent -- in January, Munster noted that Apple has seen faster international growth of the Mac platform.
The company sold 2.94 million Macs in the year-ago quarter, which itself was up 33% over the first calendar quarter of 2009.

January's strong results were presumably driven in large part by strong sales of the revamped MacBook Air introduced last October, and Apple's sales should see another significant bump with the expected release of new MacBook Pros just two days from now.

NPD's data also reveals a year-over-year decline in U.S. iPod unit sales of about 10%, although continuing declines in iPod unit sales have been offset in recent years by the increasing popularity of the iPod touch, which has worked to keep Apple's iPod revenue relatively steady from year to year.

Article Link: Apple's U.S. Mac Sales Up 20% in January

cvballa

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
I picked up my first mac.... a refurbed mac mini.... great buy... so i am helping this stat as well

lvick

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

People spending their Xmas money?

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
It's always good to know the Mac is doing well. At least it isn't all about iOS!

Okay, maybe it is 95% of the time, but....

So much for the naysayers and prophets of doom who have shouted the demise of the Mac

Well, this doesn't quite mean the Mac won't be discontinued at some point-- in fact, I'll be quite surprised if we still have the Mac in 20 years' time. I expect iOS will eventually take over-- but not until it's much, _much_ more mature.

zep1977

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Great news.

Kind of fun reading some of those "Beleaguered Apple" articles on the web from 1996-1998 or so. :rolleyes:

Who would have thought.....

:apple:

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I see more Mac's on ECU's campus than I do PC's. I really think in 15-20 years, mac OSX is going to be the new standard platform among home users. More and more young people are either growing up around Mac's or are making the switch to Mac early in their life.

Windows will always have its place in corporate America though.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
How long until Windows is the minority.

In what way? Desktop / Laptop sales? In user interface sales (laptop, desktop, phones, tablets...)

If you mean desktop / laptop sales, in the past five years, Apple has moves from ~5-6% all the up to ~10-12%. In short, Windows based computers are still a huge presence.

Until Apple releases a headless mac, they are going to suffer with many IT departments that do repairs on-site. Not saying this is a universal thing of course, its just that many schools and large business will do desktop repairs on-sie, something that Apple does not cater to.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Doubtful. The Pig is going under 300$ I bet.

If AAPL falls below 300 that would make the PE ratio way to low for it's current EPS not to mention the forward look EPS multiple.

Even taking the cash off the balance sheet the company looks incredible.

Apple is a growth company and therefore a growth stock. These giant 20% plus jumps prove it's a growth company.

Current
AAPL PE ratio 19 and change
Google PE ratio 23.

You think google deserves a premium like that over apple? Below 300 the PE drops even lower to ridiculous territory.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Maybe this news will stop the AAPL slide.

I think turmoil in the middle east and the price of oil has more to with the recent AAPL slide. AAPL and GOOG are both down over 3%. The whole market is in the tank right now.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
In what way? Desktop / Laptop sales? In user interface sales (laptop, desktop, phones, tablets...)

If you mean desktop / laptop sales, in the past five years, Apple has moves from ~5-6% all the up to ~10-12%. In short, Windows based computers are still a huge presence.

Until Apple releases a headless mac, they are going to suffer with many IT departments that do repairs on-site. Not saying this is a universal thing of course, its just that many schools and large business will do desktop repairs on-sie, something that Apple does not cater to.

ROTF. Ever heard of Mac Mini? Perhaps you have never used a Mac before but with proper backup procedures the need for on-site repair of a Mac is minimal.

There's a reason Apple computers top satisfaction charts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.