Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
If Google is so evil, why are they doing so well? Why do millions upon millions of people use their web services if they're just in to make money off people and nothing else.

pinoc.JPG

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
Awesome Apple.....I don't want my information shared with anyone without my permission. Add "Another Brick in the Wall" please!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Advertisers who share user info should be declared criminals in my opinion. They already have more than enough money. :rolleyes:

I use Adblock on all my devices, I refuse to support such an industry.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Why do millions upon millions of people use their web services if they're just in to make money off people and nothing else.

Because they are a private company in a capitalist economy? I don't necessarily do agree with your argument, but I'm not seeing any point to this sentence.

Of course, just like Apple, Google just wants to make money. It's obviously always about profit.

They aren't bring "nice" to anybody. And they aren't front companies for Dr. Evil...

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
I wouldn't bring stock performance into the argument if you favor Apple:

2014 Year-to-date: Google +8.2%, Apple -2.3%
Since Sept, 2012: Google +70%, Apple -20%

Talk about cherry picking. I could pick a date in say, early 2009, and that would show AAPL way, way, way outperforming GOOG by several hundred percent.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Headline: Ad agencies are angry that Apple won't help companies spy on consumers. One company was quoted as saying if the NSA can know when you're taking a leak, we should know too! :D

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Google is much more intrusive in the way they want to track people. They want to link everything together - phone-email-browser-search history-youtube-docs-google plus and basically own our internet experience, and track everything that we do.

Yes, Apple does track our data and use it for advertising, but they are focused on hardware and in my experience they are not nearly as intrusive, nor as focused on owning 'all' of my data the way that Google is. I don't get why people don't see the difference. The forced migration from Youtube to Google + is a good example of why people distrust Google, along with their obsession that we all use our real names *everywhere* on the internet.

We are all deeply enmeshed in Apples ecosystem. They have our full names, physical address, phone number, credit card info etc. All required to participate via our Apple ID, the App Store, iTunes, et al. That's all they need.

If we use an iPhone, that's the privacy trackers dream. Same for any other smartphone. We're on the web, email and everyone other than a few of us, are on Facebook.

Privacy is long gone, why everyone seems to think Apple is safer than the rest is sheer ignorance. Who cares, it's not like one can live without a presence on the web or online without major inconvenience.

Finally as I've stated numerous times, big data corporations like http://acxiom.com/ make the tech companies look like novices.

Get into acceptance it's out of our control.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Much like the people who rant about how evil Google is. You guys all act like they're selling your name and social security number to Satan himself.

As a long time Google user (of a LOT of their services), I never feel unsafe or compromised while online. I never have problems with ads or marketing, and have never felt like I was being made a product, as so many seem to think.

Plus, what sort of information are they sharing? My name? The area I live in? The fact I browse for MTG cards online frequently? Who cares? This is all information that is available publicly if you know where to look.

You need to realize that what advertisers are after are a broad generalization of user habits. They have no interest in your specific name or address, they more want categorised data (eg. I'm a white male, 20-24, plays video games, interested in IT industry). THAT is more useful to them than what my dog's name is, or what time I get up every morning.

Where have I ranted about Google or complained about them selling my info?

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Get into acceptance it's out of our control.

You are proud of this?

Send me your name. In one week I will mail you a packet of information that will have so much detail about your life that it will curdle your blood.

I'll send you my name. And you will not find the same info on me. Not even close.

Why? Because that is how I choose to be - private. I am careful of how I use the Internet, what I throw in the trash, or use in a store. Because I can, and because it is important to me.

You can surrender all you want. Don't expect me to participate.

----------

We are all deeply enmeshed in Apples ecosystem. They have our full names, physical address, phone number, credit card info etc. All required to participate via our Apple ID, the App Store, iTunes, et al. That's all they need.

Please post your full name, physical address, phone number, credit card info etc. here so we can verify your identity.

You seem to gloss over one very important word - PARTICIPATE - because that is what you have to do if you want to surrender yourself the way you have.

You are missing the specific point that Apple chooses not to participate in this blindingly dangerous proposition that identity and privacy are more valuable when sold than when kept.

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
Doesn't seem to be too bad when developers of poorly made games like flappy bird get $50,000 USD a day from ads. I'd say iADs is doing just fine. Besides between Amazon, Google and Facebook advertisers already know enough about me. Though I have to say out of all of them Amazon knows me best and does a splendid job of showing me things I will actually buy.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
Admittedly frustrating for advertisers, but most users consider that a good thing.
And that is stupid, because it doesn't make the ads go away, only make them pointless and annoying because totally untargeted.

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
If Google is so evil, why are they doing so well? Why do millions upon millions of people use their web services if they're just in to make money off people and nothing else.
Originally Posted by Krimsonmyst

Because google offers free and nothing beats free in the consumer world. Of course until free breaks then be ready for an assault on "why is this broken?!?" I mean I paid good identity money for this free service! I personally like to pay developers for apps without ads. I purchased a panasonic smart tv at Christmas and there were ads in the main menu which I didn't realize until I got home and there was no way to get rid of them, I took it back. No way I was spending 1200 for a tv with ads I couldn't get rid of. My option was to either get generic ads or submit more info to them so I could have tailored ads. Epic fail. Love me some Apple! They do their own direct marketing but I actually like their products.

Last edited:

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Apple never had.....

a pleasant or amenable approach to share.....No technology, no earnings and no too prone to share information....So, I think the masterminds in Cupertino have not given deep tought to this iAd connundrum or the solutions in hand dont please them. But when they realize the amount of money they are losing, maybe they come with a nice solution....As final tought, I think situations like this show to the fanboys that Apple is a no so perfect company.....:D

:):apple:

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
As final tought, I think situations like this show to the fanboys that Apple is a no so perfect company.....

Not perfect, but at least they are keeping the data I choose to share with them...with them. They are not selling it or selling me. I appreciate that.

Have you ever noticed that all of Apple's products come with a selectable warning about collecting your information, and giving you the opportunity to opt-out? Conversely, have you ever seen Google offer that option - or even admit that they are collecting data that has absolutely NOTHING to do with what you would expect?

How many times has Google been forced to admit that they are indeed doing something they said they were not doing?

Maybe...just maybe... Apple is trying to set an example of corporate responsibility. Whenever a corporation's data is breached or exposed, fingers get pointed in all directions - the processing company, the ad company, etc - but few are ever held accountable for that data breach bringing misery to thousands or millions of people who have to re-set their identity. Maybe Apple is trying to set the example that, if a company wants to target customers using data mined from those same customers, the company ought to have the responsibility to keep it appropriate, safe, and reasonable.

Just a thought.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
I work in digital advertising and I can tell you it's pretty frustrating when trying to put a mobile campaign together for a client and not being able to properly target users based on certain demographics. Its much harder to successfully target people who use Apple devices.

My heart bleeds lumpy custard for you.
I give certain information to suppliers to enable me to interact with them, not advertisers.

The more intrusive advertisers get, the more false information I supply, so the "information" you acquire is garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.