Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I would say in surprised that they can still change the name this late in the game, but it's clear that whoever started the 5se rumor had it all wrong, well, some of it at least.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Still with the 16gb??? WTF Apple. What happened to 32gb?
Would you expect Apple to sell a 32 GB iPhone SE (as the entry-level) alongside the iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus and 6s Plus each with 16 GB? At the very least they would have to shift all those to 32 GB as well. But if they wanted to do this, they'd rather do it with the release of the iPhone 7.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Cmon....

iPhone Mini (4 inch)
iPhone Air (4.7 inch)
iPhone Pro (5.5 inch)

You do this across your Mac lines and iPad lines. Just do it on iPhones too.
And the "Mini" moniker ... which should be on this phone as well.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Looks to be a great choice for radical use cases such as:
- One-hand operation
- Charging the battery while using headphones
- Avoiding "is that an iPhone 6 Plus in your pocket or are you just..."

Reactions: Wahlstrm

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
one things for sure, i aint buying another iPhone with sich a huge bezel anymore and if the iPhone 7 wont be getting rid of "some" ill rock my 6 til it dies. i mean look at the Galaxy Edge, no space wasted

Reactions: megagene

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
This is starting to look like a bad deal. What's the point of a renamed 4" phone with last year's technology? They already do that.

The glaring hole in Apple's line up and the reason for their sales dip is lack of a flagship phone in a 4" screen size. This March 15 phone looks like a waste of time. They need to just go straight to a 4" version of the iPhone 7 on the same day the iPhablet 7 & iPhablet 7 Maxi get released. Anything else is just being clueless.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Like they did with "The New iPad"?
The box for the new iPad only said "iPad". I think some heard it introduced as the new iPad and assumed it was part of the name. Sort of like when they hear someone say this is my youngest child Blake, and think "My Youngest Child" is part of Blake's name.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't really SE why Apple would choose such a non-descriptive & decidedly Un-Appleesque name (in it's "modern" era at least).

The name harkens back to the Mac SE. But SE on that Mac stood for "System Expansion" because it was the first Mac to have an expansion slot. But obviously there is no way to expand an iPhone. Sometimes SE on a product stands for "special edition," but this going to be a regular run phone, not special like, say, the U2 iPod.

If this is the real name its just more evidence Apple is getting lazy, especially in the marketing dept.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The fewer of the "new" features they include, the less compelling it is to upgrade from my current 5S. ApplePay? They want people to use it . . . they're getting the value from it, not me.

If you are perfectly happy with the 5s, I could see you holding off on an upgrade. As someone who is using a 6s, I would change to the "se". If the "se" never came to fruition, I would go back to the 5s. That is a very good point you bring up. Better battery, live photos, apple pay
I don't really SE why Apple would choose such a non-descriptive & decidedly Un-Appleesque name (in it's "modern" era at least).

The name harkens back to the Mac SE. But SE on that Mac stood for "System Expansion" because it was the first Mac to have an expansion slot. But obviously there is no way to expand an iPhone. Sometimes SE on a product stands for "special edition," but this going to be a regular run phone, not special like, say, the U2 iPod.

If this is the real name its just more evidence Apple is getting lazy, especially in the marketing dept.

I actually think iphone se (special edition) is not bad at all. That pretty much is exactly what it is.

Last edited:

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I never bought into the old rumored name of '5SE'. This name I can buy into and don't mind at all.

TheTom9

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
London, UK
I am really sorry to offend some fans by this but i just find it confusing, two iPhone sizes, then another two still in sale from the previous generation, new iPads, half functioning apple tv ( i own one), little confusion over the watch update and releasing 76 bands throughout the year and now an iPhone that's going to be called SE - all these and after 6 months i'm still having issues with Apple music and iCloud asking me for password verification every other day.... ah

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
The fewer of the "new" features they include, the less compelling it is to upgrade from my current 5S. ApplePay? They want people to use it . . . they're getting the value from it, not me.

If you bought a 5S at launch, then your battery is shot by now. This is why I'll upgrade to whatever it is they launch in the 4" form factor, and I suspect I'm not alone. And I'm happy enough with the return of the 4" option that I'm fine with it.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Apple is the only entity getting value from Pay!? Sorry but I have to completely disagree here. I wanted the Watch specifically to gain access to Pay. That is the ONLY reason I want to upgrade my 5S.

I couldn't care less about 3D Touch. I'm perfectly happy with the way I interface with my iPhone now, I've played around with it at the Store, and it does nothing for me. Developers haven't really embraced it to do anything spectacular in the apps I use yet, though I can certainly see the potential for it down the road. For now, I don't care. But give me Pay, a better camera, and more RAM, and I'm in. Can't happen soon enough!

Fair enough . . . I may have been the first person every in an online messageboard to overstate the point. But, basically, ApplePay has a lot in it for Apple beyond just selling more products (like other features - better camera is good for me and I'm willing to pay for it). ApplePay does provide value to users, and even I'm intrigued by it. But to me it has an element of being used to promote another apple product rather than just provide me with increased value.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
The box for the new iPad only said "iPad". I think some heard it introduced as the new iPad and assumed it was part of the name. Sort of like when they hear someone say this is my youngest child Blake, and think "My Youngest Child" is part of Blake's name.
True. They only called it this way in the keynote and in ads. I believe the real name was actually "iPad with Retina Display" but it has never been called iPad 3 by Apple. And because of this, it made a lot of confusion later because the iPad 4 was also dubbed as "iPad with Retina Display".

Reactions: bliss1111

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
If you bought a 5S at launch, then your battery is shot by now. This is why I'll upgrade to whatever it is they launch in the 4" form factor, and I suspect I'm not alone. And I'm happy enough with the return of the 4" option that I'm fine with it.

It actually seems to hold up decently well. Like everyone, near end of day it's running low. But that was true when I opened the box as well.

That said, it's pretty sorry that the need to replace a phone is driven by the number of battery cycles rather than new features, etc.

Reactions: Max(IT)

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I am really sorry to offend some fans by this but i just find it confusing, two iPhone sizes, then another two still in sale from the previous generation, new iPads, half functioning apple tv ( i own one), little confusion over the watch update and releasing 76 bands throughout the year and now an iPhone that's going to be called SE - all these and after 6 months i'm still having issues with Apple music and iCloud asking me for password verification every other day.... ah

The iCloud verification thing is making me crazy. Also iTunes Match is buggy.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
A mini, and pro line for iPhone would be a more ideal naming scheme. It helps fit with the iPad lineup.
Basically:
iPhone Mini (4 inch model)
iPhone (Number +/- S model, 4.7 inch model)
iPhone Pro (Replaces the Plus name for the 5.5 inch model)

I agree, though I would name them more like Macbooks:

4" iPhone
4.7" iPhone
5.5" iPhone
7" iPad
10" iPad
13" iPad Pro

Then the Apple enthusiasts that care can refer to them as the "Early 2016" or the "Late 2017" generation to differentiate between releases.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I actually iphone se (special edition) is not bad at all. That pretty much is exactly what it is.

Please explain how it's a special edition compared to any other iPhone model? When I think about "special edition" product they are unique and also only offered for a limited time. I don't see that as the case here on either account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.