Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
To all those saying iLife07 will come into Leopard, that sounds good and all but what about the millions of people on Tiger? I dont think Apple is just going to screw them over and kill their own profit. It makes no sense.

Their also not going to offer different versions of Leopard, that was the big thing during WW07.
Steve Jobs was like we have a Premium Version for $129. A Business Version for $129. The Ultimate Version for $129. Their whole thing is, they dont want to be like Vista and have 18 different versions so that wont be happening either

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
But they don't announce new iMacs 6 weeks before release, they announce and release at the same time.

Sorry, no. Apple has announced many products that are not immediately available for shipment. This is a fact of history. Remember the iPhone was announced 6 months before it was available. The appleTV had a delay of weeks. The first G5s were late to market. The list goes on and on.

urbanskywalker

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2007
Sigh! Another rumor and another date slide, but still no imac. I have to go back to school in just over a month and I need a computer soon. The last thing I want is to be setting up a computer in the first month of classes.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Exactly, it's NOT there anymore...

Yeah ... it isn't like the just had their best quarter for Mac unit volumes in history, or that Mac hardware still makes up over 60% of their revenue, ... nope they don't make personal computers any more and they obviously don't care about that segment.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Isn't MW a consumer convention? For Pro news/products try Photokina or NAB or NAMM...

Yup... they announced a lot of software (e.g. FCS v2) for their traditional professional markets earlier this year at NAB followed by MacBook Pro. Folks appear to have selective memories.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
.Mac

Maybe it's not about hardware at all. Maybe, just maybe, it's about .Mac...

After all, there have been mutterings from Apple about how they recognise how much work needs to be done with it to make an attractive proposition. Maybe, given the industry-wide drive towards web applications and platforms we might see a big price cut or even a free service to all as a loss-leader, much as iTunes is.

;)

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
Just an Idea

This is just a theory that is contradicted by everything, but what if the new iPods were touch screen and still sold for the $300 price? It would be bad news for the iPhone? I know that this won't happen but it's just an idea.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That hasn't always been the case though. iMovie and iPhoto both started out as free downloads like iTunes. It's possible they could go back that way to combat Vista's bundling of similar (in purpose) apps.

IIRC, this was only for the 1.0 versions. Fact is, the iLife applications are already bundled. Will Microsoft do forever free upgrades of their bundled applications? Will they even update them significantly? I don't think we know yet.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
The New iMac and the new Macbook pro will share a single unified motherboard and chipset leaving the iMac only 1" thick.
There will be a 20, 24 and 30" LED widescreen.
It will, obviously, be optical glass with a chrome bezel having a design sympathy with the iPhone.

The MacPro will continue relatively unchanged.

Touchwheel Ipods will remain but re-housed in black and chrome but complemented by a iphone-esque Video Ipod.
Iphone Nano will be released.

Not a bad call but 30" is still too pricey I think, and do they even do LED ones?

jchase1

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Products

I think Apple will introduce the wide screen iPod that will have the same form factor as the iPhone. There will be 3 versions, one an iPod, an iPod with camera, and the iPhone.

I also think the long awaited Mac tablet will appear but will not be the typical tablet. I think the user interface will more resemble that of the iPhone. Functionality will determine menus etc.

I think Apple will eventually transition to an interface for all products that will resemble what is now being used on the iPhone. This will enhance all their product line for commercial use.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Pure Speculation...

I think Steve/Apple wants to do something that exploits MutliTouch.

MT, properly implemented, can change the way we (people) interface with a whole range of devices (computers, AV gear, appliances, vending machines, kiosks)... yea, the world.

If they have the patents and the two year lead over competitors, then the time to do it is ASAP.

They could "transition" to MT in several ways:

1) add MT capability to all displays as each product is refreshed: iMacs and New Apple Displays (would be the first candidates)

This would be MT Display input in addition to (not as a replacement for) keyboards, touchpads, graphic input tablets.

2) Rework the iLife, iWork apps and other OS X Apps (Safari, iTunes, Pro apps) to take advantage of (and create a need for) MT.

3) Introduce new devices that use MT:
--an ultraportable (palmtop) computer
--a universal remote control.
--a Home Security Appliance Monitor & control
--a light table
--input reader/scanner for images, documents (text recognition), handwriting, fingerprints, barcodes, etc.

4) Update iPods to use MT

5) Introduce MT replacements for standard input devices:
-- infinitely programmable (blank slate) keyboard
-- MT graphics tablet with pressure sensitivity & fine resolution
-- low-cost OEM touchpads for kiosks, vehicles (AV, GPS Navigation)

Can you visualize the time in the not-too-distant future when (almost) anything we want to interface is done thru MT....

--say an AV equalizer that is customized to however many parameters we want to control
--a piano keyboard that you can customize to fit the size of your hands.
--a gaming device with an infinite number of knobs/buttons etc. that are tailored to the game and the user
--an AV remote (maybe an iPhone) that allows you to surf, schedule, control watch/listen to any media available to you (private collection, iTMS, web)

There are so many uses for the MT technology... and anyone can and will use it (from 1 year old to a non-techie grandma)

MT can become the UUI (Universal User Interface).

However, and this is key...

I do not believe that only Apple can think of and satisfy all the potential uses of MT. Apple needs to find a way to package, implement and license the MT technology.

my 2.5 sense

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Isn't MW a consumer convention? For Pro news/products try Photokina or NAB or NAMM...

It isn't really one thing or another. A while back, Apple let it be known that they'd be announcing new products when they were ready. The fact that no new "pro" products were announced last January is really just a coincidence. In the past, plenty have been introduced at MW.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

Well Steve said at MacWorld that .Mac has 1 million subscribers so a cut of their revenue by $100 million/year is fairly significant, but that is only $25 million revenue/quarter which is tiny as they made $5 billion revenue last quarter.

Even if .Mac's revenue is virtually all profit the amount isn't particularly significant and doesn't explain the very low guidance. Killing the iMac is the only thing that would be sensible and explains the low guidance.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ

After all, there have been mutterings from Apple about how they recognise how much work needs to be done with it to make an attractive proposition. Maybe, given the industry-wide drive towards web applications and platforms we might see a big price cut or even a free service to all as a loss-leader, much as iTunes is.

;)

Agreed. A .Mac major overhaul would be a really good idea and Steve has foreshadowed it.
> More space - 3GB
> Better syncing - maybe Leopard for that
> 5 true emails for single licences, much better family packages
> Sync with iPods for files in iDisk
> LAN syncing for machines local to each other - why go up and down when setting up
> ITMS shopping discounts/frequent buyer program

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I think Steve/Apple wants to do something that exploits MutliTouch.

MT, properly implemented, can change the way we (people) interface with a whole range of devices (computers, AV gear, appliances, vending machines, kiosks)... yea, the world.

If they have the patents and the two year lead over competitors, then the time to do it is ASAP.

They could "transition" to MT in several ways:

1) add MT capability to all displays as each product is refreshed: iMacs and New Apple Displays (would be the first candidates)

This would be MT Display input in addition to (not as a replacement for) keyboards, touchpads, graphic input tablets.

2) Rework the iLife, iWork apps and other OS X Apps (Safari, iTunes, Pro apps) to take advantage of (and create a need for) MT.

3) Introduce new devices that use MT:
--an ultraportable (palmtop) computer
--a universal remote control.
--a Home Security Appliance Monitor & control
--a light table
--input reader/scanner for images, documents (text recognition), handwriting, fingerprints, barcodes, etc.

4) Update iPods to use MT

5) Introduce MT replacements for standard input devices:
-- infinitely programmable (blank slate) keyboard
-- MT graphics tablet with pressure sensitivity & fine resolution
-- low-cost OEM touchpads for kiosks, vehicles (AV, GPS Navigation)

Can you visualize the time in the not-too-distant future when (almost) anything we want to interface is done thru MT....

--say an AV equalizer that is customized to however many parameters we want to control
--a piano keyboard that you can customize to fit the size of your hands.
--a gaming device with an infinite number of knobs/buttons etc. that are tailored to the game and the user
--an AV remote (maybe an iPhone) that allows you to surf, schedule, control watch/listen to any media available to you (private collection, iTMS, web)

There are so many uses for the MT technology... and anyone can and will use it (from 1 year old to a non-techie grandma)

MT can become the UUI (Universal User Interface).

However, and this is key...

I do not believe that only Apple can think of and satisfy all the potential uses of MT. Apple needs to find a way to package, implement and license the MT technology.

my 2.5 sense

Jobs mentioned at the Interview with Bill Gates that technology advancements would be used in "Post PC Devices" more than PC's...because people were comfortable with the traditional setup. I think he was referring to the fact that MT is not coming to the Macs any time soon. I hope it does though...hopefully on the new iMac's!! But I seriously doubt it.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Well Steve said at MacWorld that .Mac has 1 million subscribers so a cut of their income by $100 million/year is fairly significant, but that is only $25 million revenue/quarter which is tiny as they made $5 billion revenue last quarter.

What if certain or new iLife apps were offered as web-based apps? Is .Mac potentially the place where a new platform can be developed with some integration with iTunes? Those big buildings that Apple were developing for alleged server farms. Hmmm?

Anyway, it's all conjecture. Just trying to see another angle because I don't think this is about touchscreens. Not yet, anyway.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
Agreed. A .Mac major overhaul would be a really good idea and Steve has foreshadowed it.
> More space - 3GB
> Better syncing - maybe Leopard for that
> 5 true emails for single licences, much better family packages
> Sync with iPods for files in iDisk
> LAN syncing for machines local to each other - why go up and down when setting up
> ITMS shopping discounts/frequent buyer program

That would be great, coupled with the GoToMyPC-like functions of Leopard.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
I agree, it has been a while since we have heard anything from the iPod HiFi, but more importantly the iMac. Almost a year with no update, WOW! That is strange for Apple.

Interesting... You can slip the iPhone into the iPod HiFi and it works just fine (though you get a message that it is a non-supported device).

It sounds great... but google maps... not so goot!

Pleiades

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Pacific Northwest
I think Apple gave the tipoff themselves. They mentioned three reasons. Who said all three reasons aren't actually two or even one combined reason? Maybe the higher price of flash IS the transition? It's been written about that Apple's locked in lower flash prices with early long-term contracts? So why did it get mentioned as a reason why earnings would be lower if Apple's already guaranteed themselves cheaper flash?

I think the answer is that they're going to be using a LOT more flash memory than they are right now. My prediction is an all-flash iPod lineup. Put 32GB or 64GB in an iPod and I guarantee their margins are going to be a lot thinner, along with the iPods themselves. Those pictures of the 6G iPod that are disappointing everyone could just be the view from the front. Maybe the side view would show a video iPod with the thickness of a nano. Hard drives are comparatively cheap, so while Apple's paying lower flash costs than most, the replacement of hard drives with flash is going to be expensive cost-wise and would definitely qualify as a "transition" in product lines.

A new iMac would not be a transition since they still use all the same parts as any other Mac (i.e. MacBook Pro), just in a different form factor. Unless the new iMacs are going flash as well. Or they're going to incorporate the Robson turbo memory into the new Santa Rosa iMacs.

My bet's still on an all-flash iPod lineup.

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
What if certain or new iLife apps were offered as web-based apps? Is .Mac potentially the place where a new platform can be developed with some integration with iTunes? Those big buildings that Apple were developing for alleged server farms. Hmmm?

Anyway, it's all conjecture. Just trying to see another angle because I don't think this is about touchscreens. Not yet, anyway.

Well that would be smart. (iPhone with iWeb so you can make websites on the go). That is something that Apple would be going for. But the server farms are nothing special for any person that knows that Apple has barely done anything to .mac for as long as it has existed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.