Apple's Upcoming Wearable Device Not Likely to Ship Until Early 2015

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 29, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    While Apple is expected to unveil its new wearable device, popularly referred to as the iWatch, at its media event scheduled for September 9, the device will likely not begin shipping until early next year, according to Re/code.
    Word of a significant gap between unveiling and launch is not a surprise, considering the company's history when entering new product segments. The iPhone and iPad both launched a number of months after their unveilings. With no existing Apple product of its type to see sales plummet ahead of a launch, Apple has more flexibility to announce early and ship somewhat later.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is among those who recently reported that a 2015 launch is likely for the iWatch, also having predicted last month that production on the device would not begin until November. Part leaks for the device have also been non-existent, supporting the notion that production has not yet begun.

Apple's September 9 event is expected to focus on the iPhone 6, with the iWatch sharing the stage. Early rumors had suggested Apple was looking to show off the iWatch in October, but it may have altered its plans to better position the device as an iPhone accessory rather than a standalone product.

(Image: 2.5-inch iWatch concept by SET Solutions)

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming Wearable Device Not Likely to Ship Until Early 2015

2. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

I'm okay with this, it's much more exciting when I know nothing about it when they unveil it. Unlike the iPhone 6 which we know almost everything about.

3. macrumors 68040

they will make a "sneak peak" like in case with the Mac Pro last year.
    i think it's ok to give us something but to deliver to us when it's done and not in a hurry way

4. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Oooh! quit it with the dumb rumors. It will come when it comes.
    I just hate it when expectations build and then break down. :mad:

5. macrumors 68020

jlake02

Makes sense... I think everyone expected a launch delay since it's a new Apple product.

:apple:

6. macrumors 6502a

I don't think so, I think Late november or December. They wouldn't want to miss out on bumper christmas sales.

If it went on sale in early December, that would leave a three month gap (Greater gap than between iPad announcement and iPad going on sale) and therefore plenty of time for it to go into production and get FCC approval.

7. macrumors regular

nerdAFK

8. macrumors 68020

SMIDG3T

We know this already. It MAY be shown at the event but it won't be released in 2014.

9. macrumors member

maybe?

Could certainly be the case given the purported supply constraints of key components like the screens. However, I expect that Apple would go to great lengths to hit the holiday season this year.

I guess we had to wait a long time for the Mac Pro, but the normal Apple pattern is availability within 60 days.

10. macrumors regular

Sounds like you would like macfacts.com

11. macrumors 6502a

More time for Samsung to commence copying...excuse me..."innovating" their new Galaxy smart watch.

12. macrumors 6502a

No I don't think it'll be presented like a 'sneak peek'. i suspect this will be the only launch for this product and it will be similar to the iPad and iPhone original events. I suspect the iWatch is ready for demo's and production, unlike the Mac Pro was in June last year.

13. macrumors member

nezr

I'm only buying this for the unified health/fitness features. I dont care much about reading txt/email on the watch.

14. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Developers could use the lead time to get apps ready once the device details are made public.

15. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

They still can announce it early and ship later like the mac pro.
    Crossing my fingers apple would announce the iwatch on 9 sept.

16. macrumors 6502

sputnikv

There was a sudden and unexpected shift from calling this a watch to a "wearable device". I've noticed this across many tech news outlets. Interesting.

17. macrumors 68030

gibbz

That's how they roll. Just like with the iPhone, iPad, 2013 Mac Pro, or iOS 7 - the product is announced early with minimal if any leaks, and is released a few months later. Leaks come from the supply chain, not Cupertino.

18. macrumors 603

apolloa

Apples event is 2 weeks away? And we have seen NO parts leaks for any iWatch or Apple fitness band, just saying don't be shocked if all we get are 2 new iPhone models.

19. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

20. macrumors 6502

Interesting.

While it makes sense on every possible way, it certainly isn't Apple's usual M.O.
    If they keep changing what was wrong (iOS 8, Yosemite, current policies are great moves) but keep what was right, it is welcome.

Steve J. was very important for better focus, for saving the company. However, with a 600 Billion $ valuation, Apple is much more than that. Steve was limiting the company, in certain ways (the "this" or "nothing" attitude, like saying "no" to bigger phones and smaller tablets.)

I like the new Apple more and more.

About what this specific bit of news might tell us: Maybe it runs a very modified version of iOS, that needs new apps from scratch, like Android wear. Maybe new health products and home systems have to be ready for this product to unleash the hidden potential.

21. macrumors 68020

I believe it, rumors say it's coming but no part leaks. Probably a small quantity for prototypes to demo in a couple weeks, all built within Apple HQ.

22. macrumors 6502a

I may have to give mac rumors a little break, if we are going to be seeing more of these rehash rumors for the next week:rolleyes:

23. macrumors member

brunosh

They should do this with the iPhones, unveil them way before the mass production. Nowadays we know pretty much everything about the new products months before they are released. There's no surprises anymore.

24. macrumors 68030

gibbz

There weren't really that many (if any at all) leaks of the original iPhone, iPad, new Mac Pro, etc. They keep it locked down in Cupertino to stop leaks, announce it, then release later.

25. macrumors 6502

tbrand7

Doesn't suprise me. The original iphone wasn't released to the public for about 6 months after its announcement...