Apple's Upper West Side Store Unveiled

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 12, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ifoAppleStore notes that Apple has taken the wraps off the company's new Upper West Side retail store in New York City in advance of the public opening scheduled for Saturday morning.
    Numerous workers were busy Wednesday night cleaning the interior and exterior of the building in preparation for the store's opening. ifoAppleStore has also posted a gallery of photos of the new store, demonstrating the sparsely-arranged ground floor, towering ceiling, and low-profile spiral staircase to the lower level.

[​IMG]

Apple will be opening several other retail stores this Saturday, with one in Montpellier becoming the second French store after the Paris store that opened last week, and a second opening in Chermside, Australia, a suburb of Brisbane.

Article Link: Apple's Upper West Side Store Unveiled

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I bet that thing costs a small fortune on a daily basis to heat and cool.

3. macrumors newbie

Not to mention clean, look at all that glass! Looks amazing though.

4. macrumors 6502

Wow! It's so big! Those must be 30 foot ceilings!

5. macrumors member

I like most Apple stores, but I think this one looks not right. It's nice on the outside, but the inside is just some tables with Apple products laid nicely.

6. macrumors regular

Do they even expect to make profit in such flagship stores? Or is the purpose to create some buzz and upvalue the brand?

7. macrumors 6502

Amazing and beautiful. But so much for the "green" Apple.

8. macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Apple's logo looks nice in between glass.

9. macrumors regular

ToM7

WOW:eek::p amazing

10. macrumors G5

Consultant

LOL. Apple Stores do much better than you think, even surpassing Tiffany in terms of sales per area.

11. macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

That looks amazing, so much space. Looks so much better than the standard shopping centre stores like we have here.

12. macrumors 601

I can't say I am a big fan of this one…
    Usually they get their designs spot on.

This is just an aircraft hangar — looks big enough to fit a Zeppelin or two…
    [​IMG]

13. macrumors 68000

Yeah seriously the only way this could be less "Green" is if the tables are made from virgin Amazonian hardwood forest planks and the walls are coated in lead paint.

Even if they're using mercury-free lights (doesn't look like it though), just getting that much air heated and cooled enough to keep it warm at head level in the winter is going to use as much resources as a small town.

Looks like the kind of place people will know is there, but never visit.

I'm actually more interested in that "Ollies" place next door. Might have to visit!

14. macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

TOO big imo, makes everything look too small.

15. macrumors member

I'm sure that the store will be solar-powered.

16. macrumors 6502

In the end, it's all just tables with computers on them... but I would have thought they'd try to keep the "mystery" going till the last possible moment - and remove the window paper later friday night...

17. macrumors 6502

WAAAYYY to big for whats inside. Looks silly. Not a fan of this one apple...not to mention wasted energy heating this place up.

18. macrumors 6502a

fastbite

This is not a shop, it's a cathedral!

19. macrumors 68000

i like the design. Dont forget people, these stores are usually packed when opened...having alot of open air (with sky lights) will give the store a very nice feel and touch compared to the average apple store found in a mall or something.

heating/cooling would be just like any other building, no difference. Need for lighting is reduced due to skylights.

20. macrumors 65816

Scarpad

I was going to say its about the same size as My mall Apple store just stuck in a way huge building.. seems wasteful

21. macrumors regular

For a company that's pushing "Being Green," all that space is a waste. It actually appalls me at how ritzy & wasteful it looks.

22. macrumors Core

Dagless

I agree, I like Apple stores too but when I look at this I just think "wasted space". Oh and "heating bills".

23. macrumors 6502

So this is a confirmation than Apple is becoming a religion: here we go with a monumental cathedral.

24. macrumors regular

Heating and cooling will be significantly more than a normal store.
    And lights will be required much of the time, in fact I bet they have them on all the time regardless. It is a waste of space and very ungreen

25. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I'm all for minimalism, but this just looks awful. It's like a doll's house made out of glass.