1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

AppleScript 2013 Changes Thread

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by moonman239, Jan 14, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Most of the AppleScript pages I've found on the Web are pretty old. I have been made aware that at least one thing has changed since the info I had was posted. Because of this, I have decided to create this thread so that those searching the Internet can be up-to-date.

That one change I noticed is that AppleScript's "text item delimiters" property accepts multiple delimiters. This is a change that came with the installation of Snow Leopard.

When you post any changes, please use relevant keywords as tags in your post so people searching the Web will come across this thread. For example, I will put "AppleScript text item delimiters" as a tag so that Google knows this post talks about exactly that.

2. macrumors 603

I thought about it for a while, then googled applescript release notes. This told me what I wanted, which is a description of what changed in 10.6, as well as OS earlier releases. The search terms are obvious in hindsight.

I edited my earlier post to give the URL.

3. ytk
    macrumors regular

AppleScript is a dead language, as far as Apple is concerned. Don't look for too many more changes to come down the pipe. :(

4. macrumors demi-god

wrldwzrd89

This is a shame, as I rely on AppleScripting iTunes for tagging songs. I hope Apple comes up with something better to replace it; AppleScript was a good idea at the time, but it never really caught on, and is rather dated by today's standards. I wonder what will become of OSA (Open Scripting Architecture), the framework AppleScript relies on, and no other scripting language makes use of, if AppleScript goes away.

5. macrumors 6502

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "dead", since integration into Xcode is still being improved.

6. macrumors newbie

Thanks, moonman239. That's really useful info to know!