Applescript active window problem

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by NeeLonMac, Oct 30, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I created a script that will put the computer to sleep when I open it with voice commands. But because I don't want it to go to sleep by accident, I installed a "Are you sure?" dialog box.
    Of course, I want to handle that dialog box with my voice as well, because the whole idea is putting my computer to sleep with my voice.

Problem is, I can't get the new dialog window active. I have to click the dialog window, before it accepts my "Yes" or "No". The rest all works fine.

How can I fix this?

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm also creating a script that will open this site, on the specific tread when somebody replied on a tread of mine, so don't be shy and reply! :)

3. macrumors member

You might try adding tell me to activate immediately preceding the display dialog command ("me" being the running script itself).

For example:

PHP:
    tell application "Finder" to activate
    tell me to activate
    display dialog 
    "Blah"
    Notice what would happen if tell me to activate is commented out or removed; adding it ensures that the dialog window comes to the fore, since the Finder is no longer the frontmost application.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, it works! Thanks!

Since I love it when I can find complete working scripts when I am in search of one, I'll post the working script here.

Code:
    -- tell application "Finder" to activate
    tell me to activate
    set question to display dialog "Are you sure you want the computer to go to sleep?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 1 with icon 1
    set answer to button returned of question
    if answer is equal to "Yes" then
    	say "Going to sleep now"
    	tell application "Finder"
    		sleep
    	end tell
    end if