Applescript guru needed for rube goldberg solution

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by meta-ghost, Sep 13, 2004.

1. meta-ghost macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2002
    San Francisco
    i'd be greatful for any help here. i'm in need of two applescripts to solve what is a true rube goldberg solution. a friend was going to toss an 11x17 paintwriter xl in the trash that happened to work fine (of course no OS X drivers though). i could use it for architectural line drawings. he also had an old quadra 800 running 7.5. i had the bright idea of using the quadra as a "print server" for my g4. in other words - connect via ethernet the two machines. connect the paintwriter to the quadra. here is the trick. i produce a pdf that automatically gets copied to a folder on the quadra which in turn automatically triggers a script to print, then deletes itself. the files are indeed printing, now i want to automate the process.

i need two scripts;
    1) an easy one that moves it from my g4 folder(and deletes it) to a folder on the quadra. the quadra drive will show on my g4 desktop.

2) a more difficult situation is on the 7.5 OS quadra. i don't know how to activate/attach a folder action here. i'd want to have it go to trash and then empty trash if possible.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. meta-ghost thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2002
    San Francisco
    i should say that for;
    1) the folder will be activated to perform the script that moves (and deletes) the file

2) acrobat will already be running on the quadra. so the script would do the following:
    - if folder has new item
    - open item
    - print item
    - close file
    - move to trash
    - delete from trash