AppleScript Idea

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ValiumLolliPoP, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Joined:
    Jun 5, 2004
    I'll be getting an iBook soon and security is a little issue for me since it is afterall, a laptop. One concern i have is theft. I'm not going to be careless or anything but things do happen. So i was wondering if there was a way to make an applescript that would work in the following manner if given the right situation:

Suppose a person steals your laptop. It's on and it's asleep. Theres a folder on the desktop labeled "Credit Cards" or something enticing that a thief would love to look at. Besides, it's his laptop now. So he clicks open the folder and thats where the applescript comes into play! The applescript (this is where i don't know how to explain) makes the thief log in. Now, i don't know if its possible to "log out" if you don't have mulitple users on your laptop. So what happens could be left in the air... a screen saver with a password? Something with a password that wouldnt have a "cancel" option. So while the thief has your laptop... atleast you know he's pissed off because they trouble he has to go through now to unlock it is greater.

Can anyone tell me if thats possible??

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I have no clue if this is what you are contemplating, but you could write an AppleScript that sent your machine into sleep everytime the script ran, so that if you had your machine to require a password after sleep, then the theif wouldn't be able to get into your computer. However, that really isn't needed, since you could just lock your keychain, and then set some security preferences. It is'nt possible to "log in" after you already have logged in, but I have a feeling this isn't what you were aiming at. Anyhow, there are plenty of solutions online that can send you the IP address of your machine once a theif has obtained your laptop (such as Stealth Signal).
    –Chase

3. ValiumLolliPoP thread starter Guest

yea you kinda got the idea. Thank you for that link i'll take a look at it.

-Valium

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

all a thief would need is an OSX cd then he could reset the admin password. Even if he didn't know, he could just format the drive and sell it with a blank hdd.

5. ValiumLolliPoP thread starter Guest

this is true but why not go out while sticking it to him for one last time?