Applescript Question in Excel 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by merissa1408, Feb 1, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I've hit a spot in my coding that I just can't figure out!

The goal of my code: Insert records into an excel spreadsheet. You know, name, date, product number, quantity, cost. I want them to go across the row from A-F... however, not necessarily in row 1. I'm trying to allow myself to input the row I want the data to go to (using a dialogue box), and then it all goes there. But in my code, that doesn't work. Also, what I want is that when I input new data, the current data shifts down a row (so nothing becomes overwritten).
    Please read my code, be warned it's messy, and try to help me as best you can!!! Greatly appreciated.

Code:
    tell application "Microsoft Excel"
    	activate
    	display dialog "Input Row" default answer "" buttons {"OK"} default button 1
    	set blank to result
    	set r to text returned of blank

display dialog "Pickup Date" default answer "" buttons {"Cancel", "NEXT"} default button 2 with icon caution
    	set dialog1 to result
    	set pickup to text returned of dialog1
    	if button returned of dialog1 is "NEXT" then display dialog "Product #" default answer "" buttons {"Cancel", "NEXT"} default button 2 with icon caution
    	set dialog2 to result
    	set product to text returned of dialog2
    	if button returned of dialog2 is "NEXT" then display dialog "Customer" default answer "" buttons {"Cancel", "NEXT"} default button 2 with icon caution
    	set dialog3 to result
    	set customer to text returned of dialog3
    	if button returned of dialog3 is "NEXT" then display dialog "Quantity" default answer "" buttons {"Cancel", "NEXT"} default button 2 with icon caution
    	set dialog4 to result
    	set qty to text returned of dialog4
    	if button returned of dialog4 is "NEXT" then display dialog "Sizes" default answer "" buttons {"Cancel", "NEXT"} default button 2 with icon caution
    	set dialog5 to result
    	set sizes to text returned of dialog5
    	if button returned of dialog5 is "NEXT" then display dialog "Amount Due" default answer "" buttons {"Finished"} default button 1 with icon caution
    	set dialog6 to result
    	set due to text returned of dialog6

set value of cell "A14" to pickup
    	set value of cell "B14" to product

end tell

any ideas??? =) please and thank you!

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

im shocked that none of you can help!

3. macrumors newbie

Why don't you use VBA which is native scripting to excel? Makes life alot easier.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

i had no idea i could use VBA on my mac!! lol do you know where i could find it?

5. macrumors 68040

lee1210

For better or worse (most people say worse), VBA is no longer supported in Office Mac, as of the 2008 release.

-Lee

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yeah haha. i did actually know that, and that is why i started using applescript to begin with. i completely forgot lol. thanks Lee

so back to my original question... anyone know how to fix my coding?? lol

7. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

These guys might be more helpful. (Not to discount the good folk here at MR).

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

9. macrumors 6502

VBA support will be restored to the Mac in the next release of Office Mac (2010 or 2011). :)

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

good to know, thanks!

11. macrumors newbie

Applescript Question in Excel 2008

I tried the script as per #3, it does not insert the row and inserts data in row 14, up to column C only.