Applescript / Stack Overflow / Kids Games

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdr999, Mar 11, 2007.

1. jdr999 macrumors newbie

Please excuse this quick rant.

:rant
    I thought Mac's were the preferred computer for educational software and schools. After having my new iMac 24 for a few weeks I'm not so sure about that anymore. Many educational games cannot change the screen resolution and run in a tiny 640x480 box in the center of my iMac. Almost all require the CD to be inserted. Many have slow, choppy video where the lip movements aren't even close to in sync with the audio. And I won't even open the whole OS X/Classic/Intel can of worms that many titles bring to the table! Oh wait, I did :(

My wife thinks I'm crazy for replacing her PC with a Mac and running all of our newly purchased kid software in Parallels due to the screen resolution / Classic / Intel problems! :confused:
    :end rant

What I need to do have an Applescript to do the following: Mount a disk image I made in Toast, change the screen resolution and run the game. Then when the game exits eject the image and reset the desktop screen resolution.

I'm close but not there yet. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I get a Stack Overflow when I exit. I think my problem may be the:

Code:
    on idle
         if
         else
             idle
         end if
    end idle
    But without the "else idle" the game exit isn't detected and the cleanup never runs.

---------------------------------------------------------

Here is my Script:

Code:
    on idle
    	tell application "System Events"
    		set myProcesses to (name of every process)
    	end tell
    	if "MiaOSX" is not in myProcesses then
    		do shell script "cscreen -x 1920 -y 1200 -r 60"
    		tell application "Finder" to eject "Mia2_D1"
    		tell application "Finder" to eject "Mia2_D2"
    		tell me to quit
    	else
    		idle
    	end if
    end idle

on run
    	do shell script "cscreen -x 640 -y 480 -r 60"
    	set myPath to ("Macintosh HD:Users:Shared:Disk Images:")
    	do shell script ("hdiutil mount \"" & POSIX path of (myPath as string) & "Mia's Romaine's New Hat (Science) Disk 1.iso\"")
    	do shell script ("hdiutil mount \"" & POSIX path of (myPath as string) & "Mia's Romaine's New Hat (Science) Disk 2.iso\"")
    	set myApp to myPath & "MiaScience"
    	tell application myApp to activate
    	delay 5
    	idle
    end run
    -------------------------------------

Anyone have any ideas how to improve this?

Thanks!

2. jdr999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a quick follow up in case anyone is interested. I did manage to fix it. The trick was to do a Save As Application with the "Stay Open" box checked. Then it did what it was supposed to. Here's the new code:

Code:
    on idle
    	tell application "System Events" to set myProcesses to (name of every process)
    	if "MiaOSX" is not in myProcesses then
    		do shell script "cscreen -x 1920 -y 1200 -r 60"
    		tell application "Finder"
    			if exists (disk "Mia2_D1") then eject "Mia2_D1"
    			if exists (disk "Mia2_D2") then eject "Mia2_D2"
    		end tell
    		tell me to quit
    	end if
    	return 2
    end idle

on run
    	do shell script "cscreen -x 640 -y 480 -r 60"
    	set myPath to ("Macintosh HD:Users:Shared:Disk Images:")
    	do shell script ("hdiutil mount \"" & POSIX path of (myPath as string) & "Mia's Romaine's New Hat (Science) Disk 1.iso\"")
    	do shell script ("hdiutil mount \"" & POSIX path of (myPath as string) & "Mia's Romaine's New Hat (Science) Disk 2.iso\"")
    	set myApp to myPath & "MiaScience"
    	tell application myApp to activate
    	idle
    end run