AppleShare IP 5.0.2 - Restarting system?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dpaanlka, May 3, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'm running an AppleShare 5.0.2 web server, and I like to have my server shut itself down, and the start itself back up around 5 in the morning just to maintain stability. I use the Auto Power On/Off control panel...

Annyway whenever I set to shut down, AppleShare brings up an alert that says something like "how long until users are disconnected" and has a field for a number of minutes until the server shuts down. However (obviously) I'm not sitting there when this happens, and that dialog never goes away and the server doesn't shut down.

Ways to circumvent this?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To maintain stability? What makes you think that AppleShare has stability problems? If it does, what makes you think that these problems can be circumvented by restarting?

FYI, servers are never supposed to be shutdown--at least not until Microsoft innovated the category with Windows Server. AppleShare is not Windows. Leave it alone.

3. RacerX macrumors 65832

I recall having pretty good luck with AppleShare IP 5... I had my clients that were using it restart once a month or so. As long as you aren't mixing AppleShare IP with other apps on that system, it should be pretty stable (the main reason for restarting Macs using the older system software was to clear the memory partition).

4. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'm not having stability problems, but I'm used to classic Mac OS not behaving very well if it's left on 24 hours a day for days on end... I just finished switching my server from NetPresenz 4.1 (freeware) to AppleShare IP 5.0.2 now that I own that.

I did a reformat of the drive, clean fresh install of OS 7.6.1 with no extras, and AppleShare... should I be fine? How stable will that be? NetPresenz was pretty stable but I liked to have it restart early in the morning just for safety.

EDIT: Its an 8100 with a G3 and like 204mb of RAM.

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

I would think you'd be pretty well off leaving it unattended for a pretty good length of time. And if you wanted to be on the safe side you could manually restart at some point on the weekends.

I found that most of the stability problems with the older system software occurred when running a number of apps over a period of time. Back then I used to take the additional effort of closing apps in the reverse order that I opened them (I went weeks without starting even on a heavily used system doing that).

In this case, you have one app running all the time, so both the system and the app should be pretty safe in their memory partitions... and should stay pretty stable.

It has been a long time since the last time I worked with a ASIP5 system, but I remember being pleased with it's performance at the time. It was running as a heavily trafficked file server.