appleshare on 9.2.2, w2k3 server...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shmengie, Aug 5, 2004.

1. shmengie macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2004
    hi. (oooh, my first post, i'm all tingly...)

i have a w2k3 server and have enabled apple file and printer sharing. on my dv400 slot-loading iMac running 9.2.2, i go to chooser|appleshare and see the server, but when i try to connect, i am not prompted for authentication. i get the message, 'the user authentication method required by this server can't be found. please check the appleshare folder in the extensions folder and try again.' when i check, i don't have an appleshare folder in the extensions folder, just the extension itself. i do have several appleshare folders in various system folders throughout on the hd, but they all are either empty, or have 3 files in them: afpload, and sshhelper.

so, what do i do now? i'm basically just a lowly pc user, so please talk slow and use small words. :D

fyi, when i got this imac, i intialized the drive so this is a clean install (9.1) that i've upgraded to 9.2.2.

p.s. i'm thinking of doing this...

so i can upgrade to osx. anyone have any experience with this company or input on whether it's even worth it?
  2. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

May 25, 2004
    I don't know too much about this, but at work the Microsoft servers have something called a "UAM Volume" which has the required AppleShare extensions. If there is some way you can connect to the server (don't know how 9.2 works), and select the UAM Volume, you should be able to execute the AppleScript file that you'll find there. Someone with more 9.2 experience should be able to help you.

Mike LaRiviere
  3. shmengie thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2004
    thx, mike. yeah, i'm aware of the ms uam. the problem is, i can't access the server (via the mac) to install it! i tried moving it via a usb thumb drive, but then the mac sees it a pc file and doesn't know what to do with it.

i feel so dumb. i know this is simple, i just can't figure it...
  4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    This page seems to explain what you need to do to get it to work:

From the looks of it, your solution will be: "Go to computer management and right click on shared folders. Now you can setup Service for Macintosh file services. Choose Apple unencrypted authentication instead of Microsoft UAM."

As an alternate solution, you may be able to install the Microsoft UAM (authentication method) on your Mac, but I've never done that before so I can't help you with the process.

By the way, you can probably run OSX, albeit slowly, on a 400MHz G3 so long as there's enough RAM in the computer. Might want to try that before you go for that 500MHz G4 upgrade, though that would obviously be a bit faster. After all, you can have both OSes installed at the same time, so there's no harm in it other than eating up HD space.
  5. shmengie thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2004
    thx, makosuke! indeed, that was the solution.

as for upgrading, i know i should be able to run osx on my imac as is, but have run into problems when trying to do so. so i figured, what the hell? 300 bucks for a g4? why not!?

thx again for the help.