Applestore - software included with Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skeletonman, Aug 20, 2004.

1. skeletonman macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2004
    I just noticed the differences between the software included in an iBook and the software included in a powerbook. Is it true that a powerbook does not include Appleworks 6? If so, I find this strange that the top end Apple laptop does not include word processing software.
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    your right it does not come with Appleworks , not that i missed it though ! i would think Apple thinks students buy iBooks and bundle Appleworks free but Powerbook user tend to go for Micro$oft office ? who knows

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    You are correct, the Powerbook does not ship with Appleworks. I agree that it does appear a bit daft.

However I would not have used it in any case, as I purchased MS Office ( I use the Powerbook at work, and need Windows compatibility). I know a lot of students use Powerbooks (how things have changed since I was at university), who would really find Appleworks ideal.

Come on Apple put Appleworks as standard on all Macs!
  4. drsuse macrumors member

Aug 13, 2004
    you can use openoffice, it's free, and is compatible with all microsoft office formats. i use it for linux, and previously i used it for pc, and when i get my powerbook some time in the next 6-9 months, i'll install it on there too.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    They include the free trial for MS Office, and quite a few professional would rather buy Office than use the more problematic AppleWorks.

Then there is the nominal cost of AppleWorks, if you buy a $3000 machine -- a thing like $79 for AppleWorks shouldn't be too painful.

And of course the deals they've made with MS to showcase their software on the machines, IE/Office trial/etc.
  6. skeletonman thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks for clearing it up. Decided to purchase MS Office 2004.
  7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Why? Don't read my sig and think you have to be defensive. I'm just curious, since your mind is made up, why you chose MS Office. I promise not to try to talk you out of it or make fun of you--I'm just curious why you chose to buy MS Office.
  8. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    Apple would bundle it with their PowerBooks, but Microsoft made a deal that they would not develop office for mac if Apple included AppleWorks with their Powerbooks. This way, Microsoft can make more money selling their ridiculously priced software and apple can tell PC users that there is Microsoft Office 4 mac and not just pc.
  9. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    I use Microsoft Word 2004 because it works well, has never given me a problem, and saves things that are compatible with the 99% of other people I know that use Microsoft Office for Windows. I have no problem with it; on the contrary, it's wonderful!

Lee Tom
  10. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    Actually, I switched from Appleworks and bought Office 2004 recently because, quite frankly, Microsoft's Mac division is the only one actively developing new features for its office software. Despite it feeling bloated, Office embraces more Mac OS X features than Apple's own software!

Apple, despite its bold adventures into new technologies, has consistently neglected AppleWorks for years. The fact that it only recently got scrollwheel support really ticked's not that hard to make something more user-friendly, especially since we're talking about Apple. The interface is so three-years-ago (i.e. Starting Points menu) and I just wasn't able to justify having limited Word compatibility and lacking several features common to multiple other office suites for the Mac.

Really, I think Apple embarasses itself by preloading Appleworks on any computer, because it is not kept up to date with the latest capabilities of the Mac OS. Appleworks needs a major facelift, and until it gets one (they might as well start over from the ground up!) I will not subject myself to substandard word processing.

Okay, I'm done with my rant - I'm actually a happy person, I promise :)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah seriously, Office is quite good. Well, Word is good, as is Excel. Powerpoint......hrmmm, not the best, but adequate.

I agree that they should either include it on both systems, or not at all. Even if you include it with a PB and nobody uses it, you always have the option to delete it or not click on it. Include it. Include Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 or 4 for us as well while you're at it. For more money, I want the same things the iBook offers. If I don't want it, I can choose to not load it, or delete it later.

Not including AppleWorks......well, since they don't seem to have any problems with not including a decent word processor with the PB, they probably won't mind if iBooks didn't come with one either. Why should they?

And its good that Apple keeps MS happy. Apple actually needs MS to be happy in order to survive. Well, that's the perception anyway. Also, MS has helped Apple in the past.