Appletalk and Classic

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sturm375, May 27, 2003.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    I am running OS 10.2.6, and Classic (9.2.2). I have an application (4th Diminsion) that needs to talk to a server via Appletalk. Also have a networked printer that needs Appletalk. All of a sudden I can't connect via appletalk in Classic.

Booted directly into OS 9, and everything is working fine. Back in OS X, nothing.

The only thing I did over the weekend that I think may have done something, is set up a networked printer at home. (I am at work now). I used an HP 175x JetDirect to network my HP 5550 Desk Jet.

-Connecting wired over ethernet
    -Checked preferences in both OS X, and OS 9.
    -Deleted the printer I set up for home use.

Is there any preferences for Classic I can reset?

Any other suggestions?

P.S. I really don't want to work in OS 9.
  2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    u need to connect to Appletalk through OS X...not 9...
  3. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA

Small OS X bug. When I connected with the Networked printer via Appletalk, I used the Airport card. This automatically activated Appletalk on my wireless connection. This also invisibily de-activated Appletalk on my wired connection. I say invisibily because if I looked at the network preferences, both the wired, and wireless appletalk were checked and appeared to be active.

I found this when I decided to "load and unload" appletalk on my wired connection. I unchecked appletalk, then checked it. I then get a message saying that Appletalk cannot be active on more than one port at a time. Ah Ha!

So I said OK, and YES! I've got appletalk again.