AppleTalk in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IJ Reilly, May 6, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I understand that AppleTalk support in Tiger is substantially reduced from previous OSX releases. This won't be a problem for most of us, except (apparently) if you've got an older printer connected via an AppleTalk port. That's my problem -- I've got an old HP LaserJet 5MP, which has been working just fine for years now with an AppleTalk to Ethernet bridge. Will this setup stop working under Tiger? Will I need to purchase a TCP/IP printer server if I want to keep using the LaserJet?

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Seems to be broken, rather than intentionally disabled...

The checkbox in network settings is still there, I have it checked, yet a Mac OS 8.6 machine can see a Panther machine but cannot see a Tiger (10.4.1) machine, both with the checkbox checked.

Since the checkbox is still there, I don't think it was Apple's intention to disable the feature, so perhaps it will get fixed in 10.4.2.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I see my PowerMac G5 just fine from my beige G3 running MacOS 9.2.2. Make sure that you have Personal File Sharing enabled.

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

At my school, we received 18 brand new G5's with tiger on them. And just so that they could print, we had to enable AppleTalk so it could go over Ethernet, so I suspect what you are trying to do should work (99.999% Garunteed), but if it doesn't for some odd reason, then just do a google search for a program that could do that for you.

Like I said, it should work, cause I had to enable appletalk to get them (the new G5's and those upgraded from Panther) to print.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks for reviving this thread.

slooksterPSV, are those AppleTalk printers? I presume they must be if AppleTalk needed to be turned on for them to connect.

My solution -- if I need one -- is to buy a print server box from HP. This would be ethernet on the network side and parallel on the printer side. Takes AppleTalk out of the equation.

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

It talks to the server via AppleTalk which talks to the printers, which I think is AppleTalk, but to print we have to do AppleTalk. So yeah.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks. :)

I've been asking this question in a lot of places and this is the first actual answer I've had.