Appletalk Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macmonkey615, Jan 24, 2005.

1. macmonkey615 macrumors newbie

So.... I addressed this problem a few weeks ago but it's arisen again.

I've got an OS9 program (FileMaker Pro) that connects to a Host server to work on databases.

I operate everything else on OS10.2.8 and operate the FMPro in classic at the same time.

This weekend I was having issues connecting to an airport and I (under control panel / Network) created a new location.

Now when I try and query the Dbase from FMPro I get an "Appletalk Port Busy" error and it won't connect.

I've made sure appletalk isn't on in OSX but still nothing. I've tried setting my connection to the old Location which was there before.

Any suggestions?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why don't you want AppleTalk on in MacOS X?
    Why don't you upgrade to the MacOS X version of FileMaker?

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ouch. I'll take that one.

Because Filemaker version 5.0-5.5-6.0 has a different data file structure from Filemaker version 3.0-4.0-4.1 and converting an existing database can be anwhere from trivial to a huge job.

Then, Filemaker charges hefty upgrade fees

Then, Filemaker has discontinued version 5.5 and 6, which is the last OS9 compatible version, and Filemaker 7 is (you guessed it) a totally different file structure again with completely new programming and -- more upgrade fees. (You can however buy a FMP7 license and then buy an inexpensive V.6 CD to "downgrade" the license)

Wonderful program, but there is a real issue for those of us with legacy systems who can't get approval for a wholesale upgrade and reprogramming project.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Are you able in your version to set both the FileMaker client and host to TCP/IP rather than AppleTalk (Preferences, Application, Networking) and connect to the host that way? If not, turn Appletalk back on for your Airport.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

5. macmonkey615 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for understanding Canada. That is exactly right... First off- The classic machines that the other 16 employees run on do a perfect job and they have for the past 5 or so years. I simply work off my powerbook because I do in-house design and such plus I like the OSX browsers, email etc... much better.

Also we setup FMP7 on a dummy machine and tried to run the existing dbases and the relationships and such were completely knackered. So looked to us that there's no point in pouring over $15K into systems that we were already happy with.

Anyways... i'll try the TCP/IP and let you know.

P.s. I originally turned appletalk off just to see if it may free up the OS9 appletalk port which is conflicting....

6. macmonkey615 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed...

Well Canada, I tried the TCP/IP thing and unfortunately I don't believe they have the server configured to show the dbases that way.

I did although go in and From OSX - Erase The new locations that I recently added and set the network location to Automatic - then I turned appletalk On in the Ethernet pref's and vwahla..... It worked.

Thank you for your help.

JW