AppleTalk problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fizzy, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Fizzy macrumors newbie

Beige G3 / OS 8.6

My Mac has started to periodically drop off the network for no apparant reason. It's been working ok for the last 3 years. I've done a clean install but still the problem persists. Is this likely to be a network card fault?

Many thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How are you connected to the network? by Ethernet? or by LocalTalk? Your Mac doesn't have a "network card," per se. Networking is on the motherboard.

And another thing, upgrade to MacOS 9.2.2! It is an improvement over 8.6.

3. Fizzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Am connected via Ethernet. Upgrading the OS isn't an option.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have not said anything about what you are trying to communicate with. You don't even say what you mean by "drop off the network." It may be that what you are trying to communicate with is in use. It may be disconnected, turned off, or otherwise unavailable. I have noticed that some AppleTalk printers don't like to communicate with multiple versions of AppleTalk simultaneously. If a newer version of AppleTalk captures the printer, then older versions may be locked out.

5. pncc macrumors regular

Like Misterme said, we need more info to diagnose the problem.

WHAT are you trying to connect to? Localtalk cable network? Ethernet? Through what connections? How many other computers/printers? How complex is the network? What hubs/switches are involved? What OS of other connected computers? All these things and more can affect connectivity.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

He has already said that he is using Ethernet. However, he has not answered any of your other questions.

7. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I'm using a G3 B&W connected via ethernet to a small LAN (3 macs and 2 pcs) If I perform a copy or transfer of files or print a long document I get an error saying that the "PlateStream PLates ..whatever has been suddenly disconnected" like somebody unmounted the drive. I'm thinking it's a time out situation, maybe the same thing our poster is experiencing.