Appletalk

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by videonastie, Jan 27, 2003.

1. videonastie macrumors member

Could anyone give me a link or tell me how to connect to other users, through an ethernet connection, in OS 10.2? (i.e, Chooser, appletalk, password):confused:

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

go to system preferences: Apple > System Preferences

go to Sharing under Internet and Network

click the Personal File Sharing checkbox.

Quit, not close Quit System Prefences.

go to Connect To ... : Go > Connect To .... (cmd-K)

type in afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/~username
    hit enter.

replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP address of the other mac that has file sharing enabled. and username with their username on that computer.

you will then be asked to login. if you want to login and accessall files then type a login name and password that exist as users on that computer and hit enter [this way makes you see only that users(the one you logged is as) home directory only, the next way lets you see any users public folder].else click Guest and hit enter.

you will then be asked to select a volume to share.

select the one with name matching the user whos files you wish to see, and hit enter. the volume wil now be mounted on your desktop as a removable media.

ps. this is for OSX to OSX. as for appletalk i dunno. but this way is faster with transfer speeds (it is TCP/IP) if you can do it.

good luck.

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I think he was just asking about how to connect to other people... so the answer is to go to the Finder>Go>Connect To Server ... if the other person is using OS X (maybe OS 9 will work, I don't know), it should show up in the list after it searches for a while. If it doesn't, as benixau said, type in the IP.

irmongoose

4. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

I'm having trouble finding the Go, Connect button?

Basically, all I want to do is connect to a colleague's computer & pull off some work, it used to be so simple in OS 9, through the Chooser?:confused:

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Go to the Finder (click on the desktop). Then look up at the menu bar on top of the screen. Now click Go. Then click Connect to Server.

irmongoose

6. buseman macrumors regular

While in Finder, select "Go" and then "Connect to server". This is the way you connect to other computers in OSX.

7. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that guys.

Its still pretty touchy though, it crashed the 1st time & I'm still having trouble reaching the old G4 which is running OS 9.2, but I can now see the 2 G4's & the PC.

Spot on.:D