Appletv AirTunes capable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by redAPPLE, Jan 12, 2007.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i have searched the apple website and this forum and to the best of my knowledge, i haven't seen any indication, that Appletv can stream music LIKE airport express.

maybe some of you guys can help me out to find an answer to my question...

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm not sure if the interface is exactly the same, but Apple TV definitely lets you stream music from your Mac to your TV.

I think the main difference is, with the Airport Express you control everything through iTunes, but with Apple TV you control it using your TV and the Apple TV remote. I doubt there will be the ability to play music through "Multiple Speakers" (although this is just a hunch).

3. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

that is the thing, i want to stream my music from my mac to my stereo system...

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

http://www.apple.com/appletv/
    http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
    It might not stream, but sounds like it will sync.

5. jpfisher macrumors regular

According to the Apple sales rep I spoke to this weekend, no. You will only be able to control the AppleTV via the included remote/front row interface -- you won't be able to select is as an output source from iTunes ala an Airport Express.

This, of course, sucks, and may actually keep me from buying one... at least until the iTMS actually offers 720p downloads, when I'll cave and get one, probably having bought an Airport Express in the meantime.

Damn you Apple.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What is your concern? ...That Apple TV is not capable of streaming music, or that your stereo system is not compatible with Apple TV (or do you already have your answer)?

7. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

my concern is that appletv is not capable of streaming music, like airport express can.

if i want to watch movies, tv shows etc, i would turn on my tv. but what if i want to LISTEN to music?

i got "good" stereo speakers and my tv speakers can't compare with my stereo speakers...

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Hey red!

Are your TV and Stereo are not in the same location? I never use my TV speakers all audio is run through the stereo.

I think I see your point though, you still want to PUSH your music from a Mac and leave the TV turned off VERSES using AppleTV to pull the music from the Mac using the TV to do so. right? That being the case, I'm with you on this one!!

Although I'd imagine that the AppleTV is only designed to do one thing - drive the UI from the remote and not act in a passive mode like AirTunes did. Bummer eh? I really don't want to have both an Express and ATV by the TV and stereo...

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Apple TV hooks up just like a DVD player. When you play a DVD, does the sound come out of your TV speakers, or your stereo?

If the sound comes from your stereo, then you shouldn't have any problems with Apple TV but (you will need the TV on to control the music).

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Here is an explanation of the difference:

AppleTV: Works more like using 'music sharing' in iTunes, as through Front Row. You use the AppleTV interface to browse the music that is on your (remote) computer, and choose what to play. It is TV and Apple Remote-based, so it is only really useful plugged into a TV.

AirTunes: Works from within iTunes on your computer. You select the AirPort Express base station the way you select speakers. Any changes in music are made from the host computer, regardless of where the speakers actually are. AirPort Express doesn't do video, so this is most useful on an audio system. Keyspan makes a remote control that plugs into the USB port of the AirPort Express, and uses software on the remote computer so you can do limited control.

In my house, I use an AirPort Express hooked up to a shelf stereo system to listen to music in my bedroom, where there is no TV. The AppleTV would be completely useless here. (I usually just set a playlist of music I want to listen to going on the remote computer, and just turn off the stereo when I'm done listening.) Apple has confirmed that AppleTV does *NOT* have this AirTunes functionality. It only has the functionality listed above.

I am planning on getting an AppleTV for the living room, where I have a TV and receiver system. I used to use the AirPort Express/AirTunes here, but without a remote, and no visual menu, it wasn't the greatest system for a mostly video-oriented system. Of course, I don't have an HDTV yet (waiting for all the pesky standards to get settled, including CableCard and/or the software-only replacement for CableCard,) so the AppleTV will be pointless right now. (That's my only complaint, that it's HD-only. Especially since all iTunes Store video content is (marginally) less than DVD quality!)