Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
just thought it would be awesome if it had a visualizer for music, does it?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Haven't seen any visuals when it's playing music other than the album art and screen saver.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i don't understand how this would be important? people normally don't leave their TVs on if they're not watching something?

i know i don't...i watch it and turn it off. if someone's listening to music, the tv doesn't need to be on...

Hunabku

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
Turtle Island
i don't understand how this would be important? people normally don't leave their TVs on if they're not watching something?

i know i don't...i watch it and turn it off. if someone's listening to music, the tv doesn't need to be on...

It is important to me when i am entertaining quests. Party, etc. The visualizer rocks! period.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
With the processor and RAM in the Apple TV, I don't believe you'd be able to get a nice, HD visualization running at a reasonable fps. ...Probably why Apple left it out.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

Well, if you have your aTV hooked up to the TV-only, then you'd need to keep the TV to hear the music.

If you have the audio directed elsewhere (like a stereo system), then OK.

ft

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
If you have the audio directed elsewhere (like a stereo system), then OK.

ft

Except that you need the TV on to see what you're doing!! It is a visual interface after all. Now, once your music's playing you could turn the TV off, but you'd have to turn it on again to select another song/album/artist/etc.

MondayNgt

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2004
If it can drive HD video, then it should have no trouble driving a visualizer, especially since the iTunes visualizer has been around since lower-spec (than Apple TV) Macs were around ;)

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
it runs either album covers or photos as a screen saver. I have almost 4,000 8 to 10 mexapixel photos (in large jpegs) of my family running and it is awesome. It runs them as multiple random size images floating across the screen at the same time, and periodically does a 3d rotation of the whole screen. Seems to me that this would be equally if not more demanding than the visualizer.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
With the processor and RAM in the Apple TV, I don't believe you'd be able to get a nice, HD visualization running at a reasonable fps. ...Probably why Apple left it out.

The visualizer works very well on my old eMac 1Ghz G4 with 1GB of RAM. I can't imagine that iTV would have trouble with it.

Who knows, they may include it with a software update in the future, perhaps as a screen saver option.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
The iTunes visualizer would play just fine. Apple's pitiful visualizer used to run back in the OS 9 days, shouldn't have a problem now.

jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.