Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Still not fixed the constant loss of visibility of the iTunes library on the network issue...

does apple EVER fix know bugs that cause usability issues, or just the ones that might let people jailbreak stuff ?

I'm experiencing the same issue and usually restarting iTunes on my MacBook resolves the issue. With that said, a software update on the ATV side is not going to fix this problem.

I have the same issues :/

Home Sharing will not be detected sometimes, rebooting Apple TV usually fixes it :( But what's the point of a device like that if I need to reboot it every day ?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I have the same issues :/

Home Sharing will not be detected sometimes, rebooting Apple TV usually fixes it :( But what's the point of a device like that if I need to reboot it every day ?

I have given up, got myself Fire TVs, installed PLEX, re-encoded / re-obtained non-DRMd versions of the shows and films i had bought via iTunes and now have no problems + i get to stream my entire library to ANY device in home or out.

From here on out ill be ordering and ripping DvD and BluRays and having Plex handle my library.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
I have Activation issues on 1,000s of ATVs. I have 1,000s of ATVs in our School District. Ever since the 7.2 update auto installed on our ATVs over the Summer half of our ATVs in the field cannot activate. (None of our new purchased ATVs have been able to activate for 4 months now. I have been using a hotspot to bypass this. Until now there has not been any reactivating issues.) Using a hotspot does bypass the problem and activate, but guess what will happen if you leave your ATV off for too long or it updates.....? Yup, it will call out to the activation server again and guess what else... it won't activate.

Imagine you have 75 school sites with 1,000s of ATV that cannot activate after the teachers come back from Summer. Thank God Airplay still works on an unactivated ATV!!!!!!

So, using the hotspot is a quick fix workaround, but it will not fix your ATV indefinitely. This issue will come back until Apple Provides a ATV 7.2 fix.... any one else on a corporate network?

Anyone else having this issue?

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I have Activation issues on 1,000s of ATVs. I have 1,000s of ATVs in our School District. Ever since the 7.2 update auto installed on our ATVs over the Summer half of our ATVs in the field cannot activate. (None of our new purchased ATVs have been able to activate for 4 months now. I have been using a hotspot to bypass this. Until now there has not been any reactivating issues.) Using a hotspot does bypass the problem and activate, but guess what will happen if you leave your ATV off for too long or it updates.....? Yup, it will call out to the activation server again and guess what else... it won't activate.

Imagine you have 75 school sites with 1,000s of ATV that cannot activate after the teachers come back from Summer. Thank God Airplay still works on an unactivated ATV!!!!!!

So, using the hotspot is a quick fix workaround, but it will not fix your ATV indefinitely. This issue will come back until Apple Provides a ATV 7.2 fix.... any one else on a corporate network?

Anyone else having this issue?

Sounds like this might be a proxy/web filter issue. Maybe the activation url needs to be allowed?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have Activation issues on 1,000s of ATVs. I have 1,000s of ATVs in our School District. Ever since the 7.2 update auto installed on our ATVs over the Summer half of our ATVs in the field cannot activate... any one else on a corporate network?
I have one on an unfiltered corporate network, and it works without issue.
As with the post above mine, I would guess this is a firewall/network filter issue.
Refer to these to ensure the ports you need are actually open:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201733
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
I have the fix for Apple TV activation. We have filtered internet, there is no way an EDU entity can function without one. However, the time server for iOS has changed. It is now time-ios.apple.com. We had to allow this time server to pass through all of our firewalls and such. Once it was allowed all of our ATVs activated.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Sounds like this might be a proxy/web filter issue. Maybe the activation url needs to be allowed?

It was allowed, but it was the original one time.apple.com. New one time-ios.apple.com. It would have been nice of Apple to post the time server change in their 7.2 update feature/fix list.

Reactions: sulliweb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.