AppleTV, for widescreen TVs only?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ghall, Jan 9, 2007.

1. macrumors 68040

ghall

I checked the AppleTV page, and it says that you need a widescreen TV to use it. My family doesn't happen to own a widescreen TV, nor does my family have any plans to buy a new TV anytime soon. Does this mean I won't be able to use the AppleTV?

2. macrumors regular

i have the exact same question.

3. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Pretty much any TV with component and progessive scan. I guess they're just covering their asses by saying that. :D

4. macrumors 604

zap2

I see....I think I may buy my order in now...and find a TV for my room later(or now the downstairs TV is fine)

5. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

From Ars Technica Q&A (link):

6. macrumors 6502a

darwen

Yeah, I didnt get this either. It must be true though, otherwise apple would not have written 'widescreen only' ...that is a bummer. I wonder why. I understand the component cables but not all component TVs are widescreen.

7. macrumors 604

zap2

So wouldn't that be a no on the HDTV only thing?

Is it scales down on SDTVs, then its not HDTV only..or am I missing something?

8. macrumors 6502a

darwen

I thought that too. Maybe the representative was miss informed thinking it was still HD because it was just being scaled down. It is still sending a signal through the component cables, they might have thought that was an HD signal.

It is a strech... but it could be an easy mistake.

9. Moderator emeritus

It sounds like a typical sales response. It probably doesn't work properly on SDTV, so that you're either missing video or seeing a lot of black surrounding it.

10. macrumors member

I had a similar question because I have an SDTV with a component input. It would seem like I could use an Apple TV just not in HD, but I don't want to drop the $300 if this in not possible. Hopefully this is cleared up soon.

11. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It doesn't have composite output, I can't even hook it up to any of my SDTV's, and I don't have an HDTV.

Stupid, stupid move on Apple's part. They offer ZERO content in HD (only photos), but make the streaming device HD only because it can't plug in to a regular TV.

12. macrumors 604

zap2

My TV downstairs has 16:9 and Component....I'm pretty sure it will work...I'm ordering one, then I'll big up a new TV in need be