1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

AppleTV Gen 2 wired ethernet not working.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by t76turbo, Aug 12, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

My house had a near strike of lightning and I lost my new 802.11ac router and now apparently the wired port of the AppleTV. The wireless sides of both of them work perfectly.

My house didn't get a direct strike. But something happened to cause a breaker to flip, and the wired side of the router and the AppleTV to die. I tried switching cat6 cables etc and nothing worked.

Is the ethernet port in the appletv replaceable? My wireless signal is pretty strong so I should be fine but would rather stay wired if possible.

(On a side note, anyone know how a lightning strike near my home could cause this much damage to only parts of my electronics but not smoke the entire device? I use surge protectors on ac power but have nothing on the networking cables. May be time to look into if they have such a thing.)

2. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

Apple TV repairs out of warranty cost $59. Apple basically swaps out the Apple TV for you, they don't actually repair yours.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=AppleTV - click "Warranty & Service Pricing", then "My Apple TV is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?"

3. macrumors 601

Bummer.

Plan sounds like, wait it out until next ATV version.

4. macrumors regular

Thanks. I figured apple could do it but I was hoping the part was user replaceable. I found the tear down at ifixit for no parts available.

So I may just wait till the next one comes out and get it. I'm in no hurry. Like I said, it does still work. Just wireless only. Will have to see how th streaming quality is that way.