Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Users anxious to get a glimpse of the Apple TV's startup movie can now get some still pictures courtesy of the Logan website (who has also done other Apple work as well).

apple_tv_400.jpg

The Apple TV has been promised to ship by the end of this month, despite some rebuffed by Apple.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
It look just like the movie here.

[Scroll over :apple:tv]

Edit: Apart from the ending.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
That's awesome. Now, when they come out, I've got to test them with my handbrake rips and make sure they work. If they do, maybe I'll buy one.

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
Whoa.. I hope leopard has loads of useless core animation stuff. I love wasting time with awesome eyecandy.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
sounds neat, but i think that Apple needs to offer hd movies on ppv on this also, to match offerings by Xbox 360 and soon to be the PS3.

most people dont want to "Buy" a digital movie which can't be burned to disc. and even if it were, would be much lesser quality than a dvd.

I would rather pay a PPV rental fee. be able to watch it on my video ipod, apple tv or mac or pc on itunes. then have it expire within 24 hours of being watched. with a 1 month download cycle, so i can rent movies before travelling. then watch them as i like

mikeyrogers

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Agreed. Do we know if they'll playback DivX stuff? Also, anyone know if they'll work with a regular TV and just scale down the content? I can afford Apple TV, but not a new TV too :(

Where have you been? It's common knowledge that if iTunes can play it, so can :apple:TV. Not only was that announced at MacWorld, but their website also clearly states it (http://www.apple.com/appletv/sync.html).

Gaelic1

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
Mountains of No. California
I cannot see a use for this in my home. I can rent DVDs locally for less than $3 for a week. I have a TV set with a much larger screen than my Mac with a far better sound system. Perhaps I've missed something here.:confused:

ejbenjamin

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
I've been wondering lately if the Apple TV ship date may be dependent on Apple's progress in other areas-- specifically, the iTunes store.

It seems odd to me that the Apple TV specifically requires a widescreen television when widescreen content isn't available at the iTunes store. Perhaps widescreen content-- or, better yet, real 720p content-- will become available at the same time as the new device?

I think there's still a piece of the puzzle that's missing, and that may be it. I know the movie trailers are available in 720p, but not even Apple could get away with charging $300 for a device designed only for trailers.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
it can't? is this a fact?

You can rip a DVD and stream that. I'm not sure why anyone would want to stream an actual optical disk from another room when you already have a box that can just play it (or you can buy one for $30).

It's for playing ripped content, just like an iPod does. The whole point is to make DVD discs go away.

helmuthelmut

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2007
apple tv what for ?

I saw the presentations of the apple TV and i am truly a mac fan... but i still have a candid question in my mind ?

what's the point ?

As of today, i download movies and tv shows on my i pod via i tune and then i can connect the ipod directly to my tv with a cable that's worth 10 USD plus and a craddle that i already had ? what will the apple tv give me other than what i already have ?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
what's the point ?
I think this question will be answered, one way or another, for most people within a week or so of people actually having them in their hands and providing feedback.

I think it's not all that useful for most, but a cheaper-than-a-mini option for those who want to stream from various Macs to a permanently-connected-to-a-TV system.

I suspect the rumored games might help sales, and I'm sure people hacking things to allow other ripped movies to be played will be enormously helpful.

But... I think we need to wait for people to actually play with them to really decide the pros and cons.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
AppleTV or mini

:apple: TV or mini or both? AppleTV is cool, but it's not very feature rich and it's only 720p :( A mini could be used instead and is only a few hundred more. The mini can browse the internet, act as a PVR, play true HD content, ect.

And what about FrontRow? It seemed surprising to me that Apple created a different interface for the AppleTV. It makes me wonder if they are still going to use the mini or create a branded miniTV that has more advanced features like I mentioned above? Or will they just leave it up to users to figure that out.

I want an AppleTV that can stream my desktop not just iTunes stuff.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I saw the presentations of the apple TV and i am truly a mac fan... but i still have a candid question in my mind ?

what's the point ?

As of today, i download movies and tv shows on my i pod via i tune and then i can connect the ipod directly to my tv with a cable that's worth 10 USD plus and a craddle that i already had ? what will the apple tv give me other than what i already have ?

Because :apple:TV can stream directly from the Machine hosting the files. In your case, each time you download a movie you have to copy it over to your iPod, go to your TV and connect it.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
And resolution...

Because :apple:TV can stream directly from the Machine hosting the files. In your case, each time you download a movie you have to copy it over to your iPod, go to your TV and connect it.

.... is very low with an ipod , not so with an apple tv.
But i agree, i won't to buy one top but i still have not found a good enough reason to do so i'm afraid, i still buy my movies on dvd disks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.