Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
My girlfriend's father wants to get an AppleTV. However, he does not have an ethernet port by the TV and the wireless router he uses is one provided from Verizon Fios. Will this still work and connect the the Network Wirelessly. Or is it like the Airport Express where to work with a 3rd party router it needs to be wired?

Thanks for any Help.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
It should be fine. Our ATV sees the AEBSn, the Qwest DSL wireless modem, and a couple of our neighbors' wireless networks. Just make sure his wireless assigns the same subnet address to the ATV and the computers running iTunes and you should be golden. Hopefully, his is 802.11g at least; preferably 802.11n.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
It should be fine. Our ATV sees the AEBSn, the Qwest DSL wireless modem, and a couple of our neighbors' wireless networks. Just make sure his wireless assigns the same subnet address to the ATV and the computers running iTunes and you should be golden. Hopefully, his is 802.11g at least; preferably 802.11n.

Thanks. So the other Router doesn't need WDS capability to work like the Airport Express does?

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
No, the AEBS needs WDS capability because it too is a router, and it is extending the range of a wireless network.

The :apple:tv is just a wireless device.

OK. I guess I understand. But I thought that the Airport Express needed WDS capabilities even to be used in client mode. So I couldn't use a wireless AE to play airtunes without WDS. Why is this different or am I totally wrong?

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
benlee,

To answer your original question clearly:

This is exactly how the Apple TV was designed. It connects to your home network wirelessly using "g" or "n" speeds, depending on what the wireless router is capable of.

There is no need for connecting the AppleTV via ethernet. The ethernet connection is available as an option.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
OK. I guess I understand. But I thought that the Airport Express needed WDS capabilities even to be used in client mode. So I couldn't use a wireless AE to play airtunes without WDS. Why is this different or am I totally wrong?
You're totally wrong. :p I used my Airport Express in client mode for AirTunes while I was still using my Westell 327W from Verizon DSL and a Linksys WRT54G. Neither of which supported WDS.

I also used the :apple:TV with a FiOS Actiontec router before I replaced it with an Extreme extended by my Express. The only trouble I ran into was interference limiting my bandwidth until I was able to get better signal levels in the living room.

Ultimately I'm planning on replacing the Express with a Time Capsule and wiring all the stuff in the AV area :)apple:TV, Wii, iMac, DirecTV DVR) together.

B

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
You're totally wrong. :p I used my Airport Express in client mode for AirTunes while I was still using my Westell 327W from Verizon DSL and a Linksys WRT54G. Neither of which supported WDS.

I also used the :apple:TV with a FiOS Actiontec router before I replaced it with an Extreme extended by my Express. The only trouble I ran into was interference limiting my bandwidth until I was able to get better signal levels in the living room.

Ultimately I'm planning on replacing the Express with a Time Capsule and wiring all the stuff in the AV area :)apple:TV, Wii, iMac, DirecTV DVR) together.

B

So you used AirTunes in client mode without ethernet? Hmmm. Perhaps it only need WDS to extend the range. Thanks for the info.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
So you used AirTunes in client mode without ethernet? Hmmm. Perhaps it only need WDS to extend the range. Thanks for the info.

Correct. I never got WDS to work with my WRT54G, but was still able to use the Airport Express for AirTunes.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.